Olson misses own charity event

Men’s basketball head coach Lute Olson attended Saturday’s CATwalk in the form of a cardboard cutout pushed onto a stage on the UA Mall during a picture-taking session with his family.

But the real Olson did not make the walk, which benefits women’s cancer research in honor of Olson’s late wife, Bobbi, as he continues his leave of absence.

“”It’s sad not to have him here, but he’ll be back next year,”” Olson’s wife, Christine, said after the event. “”It’s tough for him not to be here.””

While Olson attended in spirit, two of his children, Greg and Christi, participated, along with Christine and her three children. Christine said the walk is therapeutic for the Olson family for what it went through when Bobbi passed away from ovarian cancer in 2001.

“”It keeps their mom alive in their hearts, and it’s really special,”” Christine said. “”And to know that we’re doing something to help others so that they don’t go through what the Olson family had to go through with her … I think that’s the one gift you can give back.””

Christine did not know when Olson might return to the basketball program, but interim head coach Kevin O’Neill said he would return “”shortly.””

“”He’s just getting some things squared away, and he’ll be back,”” Christine said.