4th of July Tucson To-Do List

Independence Day is a celebration of a country, but why not spice up your American holiday with events that scream more than America? Spend your July 4 at events that scream Dirty T.

• Check out the Indie-Pendence Day Extravaganza at Hotel Congress, 311 E. Congress St., as live bands Mates of State, Free Energy and Mostly Bears, among others, perform. There will also be a 22-foot water slide. Doors open at 6 p.m. 21-and-over crowd with a price of $10 at the door.

• Simply want to catch a movie? Head to The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd, for a showing of “”They Were Expendable,”” a WWII-era action classic for $6. Want a lighter (in heart, not in language) option? The Loft is having a 6 p.m. “”Team America: World Police,”” sing-a-long/curse-a-thon for $8.

• Rillito Park will host KIIM-FM’s Freedom Festival, showcasing country artists Tracy Lawrence, Pat Green and Gloriana. The gates open at 5 p.m. and the concert set will be followed at approximately 11 p.m. by a fireworks show. Buy tickets at all Catalina Mart locations for $20 or $30 at the gate.

• For those not wanting to stray far from campus, UA Parking and Transportation Services will be blocking off the top levels of all garages starting at 6 p.m. Sunday. Parking will be available at all lower levels. Bring your granola bars and Vitamin Water because alcohol, cooking and glass containers won’t be permitted.

• The Hilton El Conquistador Golf and Tennis Resort, 10000 N. Oracle Rd., and the Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, 3800 E. Sunrise Dr., will each have private fireworks planned for their guests. Invest in a room or find a quiet viewing place nearby.

• If you want your traditional Fourth of July, the Tucson Convention Center is opening its Parking Lot B — located on Granada Avenue between Congress Street and Cushing Street — to watch the ‘A’ Mountain fireworks. There will be food vendors, refreshments and even a beer garden.