ASUA finalists announced

ASUA presidential candidates Brad Wulff (left), a marketing junior, and Tommy Bruce (right), a pre-business sophomore, celebrate after winning the ASUA primary elections.  Both will advance to the ASUA general elections May 5th and 6th.
    ASUA presidential candidates Brad Wulff (left), a marketing junior, and Tommy Bruce (right), a pre-business sophomore, celebrate after winning the ASUA primary elections. Both will advance to the ASUA general elections May 5th and 6th.

Correction

In yesterday cutline for “”ASUA finalists announced,”” Tommy Bruce was listed as a
    pre-business sophomore. Bruce is actually a business economics sophomore. Also, the general elections are March 7 and 8. The Wildcat regrets the error.

The results of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona election primaries were released last night in the Kiva Room in the Student Union Memorial Center.

Running for the office of president, Brad Wulff came in first place with 45 percent of the vote, followed by Tommy Bruce, who obtained 31 percent. Both will advance to the final phase of the elections, although Anthony Stuart, who received 24 percent of the vote, will not.

“”I am so elated right now,”” Wulff said, after listening to the election results. “”This is something that I was hoping for, but it is such a surreal experience.””

Both candidates said they will step up their campaign efforts within the next week.

“”I’m so happy that students put their faith in me and voted. The next week it will be balls to the walls,”” Wulff said, laughing.

Currently in second place, Bruce said he will attempt to talk to every student he meets and will visit various student clubs to help increase voter turnout.

“”There will be no sleeping in the next five days,”” Bruce said. “”I am excited to be running against a friend and a great candidate and am just excited for the future of ASUA.””

Since there were only two candidates running for the position of executive vice president, both Jessica Anderson and Michael Slugocki will advance to the next phase of elections. Anderson obtained 67 percent of the vote, coming in first, while Slugocki received 33 percent.

“”It is good to know where you are at, and get motivated to keep working,”” Anderson said.

Slugocki said the results were not what he expected, but is still confident of his ability to catch up in the race.

“”A week is a long time,”” Slogocki said. “”I will be out there next week and I am still confident that I have the ability to fulfill the duties of executive vice president.””

For the position of administrative vice president, Jennifer Dang came in first with 41 percent of the vote, while Amy Adamcin came in second with 37 percent. Both candidates will advance to the general elections although Alaina Glatting, who received 21 percent of the vote, will not.

“”It was a total wave of relief initially,”” Dang said. “”But after, I realized I really need to work my tail off.””

Adamcin was likewise excited to advance, understanding that next week will be the most important part of the election. “”I have no big plans right now, but I am going to brainstorm some creative ideas, and pull out all of the stops next week.””

Fifteen individuals ran for the 10 available ASUA Senate seats. All will advance, although Lauren Abbott came in first with 10 percent of the vote, followed by Jared Cohen, who obtained 9.7 percent of the vote, and Amanda Collins, who followed closely with 9.3 percent.

“”I was so surprised,”” Abbot said. “”But it’s one thing for people to take your flyers on the Mall, but it is another to actually get them to vote for you.””

This year’s elections produced the third highest voter turnout in 15 years with 3,426, said David Martinez III, who announced the election results.

“”Primary elections typically produce lower voter turnouts,”” said ASUA President Erin Hertzog. “”We will make it a huge goal to double that number for the general election so that students come out to choose who they want to represent them.””

General elections will start Tuesday at 8 a.m. and end Wednesday at 8 p.m. Students can vote at asua.arizona.edu.