No money, no problem: Investigating the best student discounts on University Boulevard

Justice Amarillas
    American Apparel on University Boulevard. It is one of the few shops on University that offer student discounts.

Student discounts are one of the few perks of being in college. It’s almost worth it to spend thousands of dollars every year on tuition and fees just so you can get 10 percent off in a store you probably didn’t even like anyway. 

With so many shops on East University Boulevard, there’s definitely something for everyone, but does your favorite place have a discount?

Restaurants generally don’t have student discounts, or any discounts, actually. Sometimes they have coupons, but other than that, you’re on your own. Caffe Luce, Jamba Juice, Campus Candy & Yogurt and Jimmy John’s do not offer discounts to UA students. However, some restaurants on University Boulevard such as The Fix, Frog & Firkin and Gentle Ben’s Brewing Company take CatCash.

READColumn: University Boulevard needs more affordable shopping options for college students

CatCash and meal plan money are not the same thing. Meal plans are used to buy food on campus, but CatCash is used for places in the real world where you could just use a credit card instead.

Students can also use CatCash at other locations off campus like Beach Bunnie Tanning.

“Basically if you’re a student you can pay with CatCash,” said Jessi Martinez, a Beach Bunnie Tanning employee. “Also, your spray tan is $19 instead of $34.”

Haircuts are another way to save money with a student ID card. Both Cost Cutters and Style America offer a 10 percent discount. At Cost Cutters, that’s a savings of more than $1.50 per haircut.

Similar to restaurants, most clothing stores don’t have student-specific discounts, but many of the clothing store employees on University Boulevard referenced coupons in the free “Student Insider” book that can be found at many campus locations at the beginning of each semester. The coupon book also has deals for nearby restaurants and places in the Arizona Student Unions, so make sure you grab one when the next batch comes out in the fall.

Sadly, Urban Outfitters and Campus Athletic don’t have any special prices for students; but if you’re looking for cheaper prices on clothing American Apparel takes 10 percent off your purchase with a CatCard.

Sonoran Cycles , the bike shop on University, also offers discounts.

“It’s 10 percent off for students and faculty, and we sponsor the UA Cycling Club and the TriCats team,” said Abel Burgos, an employee at Sonoran Cycles.

Posner’s Art Store has a discount card, but it comes with some conditions. Employee Dylan Burton explained that each purchase amount is written on the card, and once someone gets to $100, they receive $10 in store credit. “It’s free, and it never expires,” Burton said.

Another interesting store located on University Boulevard, Ooo! Outside Of Ordinary, has all kinds of things including jewelry, decorations and souvenirs. Owner Tom Cassidy said UA students get 10 percent off any purchase.

Remember to bring your CatCard next time you go shopping on University Boulevard, and maybe you’ll be able to take advantage of some of the great deals available for students. If only there were some sort of discount for tuition.

Follow Taylor Brestel on Twitter