Heavy Trash in a ‘Plush’ place

Heavy Trash sounds like an institutionalized Elvis Presley – the same hip thrust, just a little harder.

The slick-looking duo will expose their weird brand of rock n’ roll music tonight at Plush. With influences not commonly mentioned by modern-day bands, Heavy Trash will no doubt rock the venue with a unique and crazy sound.

“”A lot of our influence comes from James Brown, Elvis Presley, Charlie Feathers, Wanda Jackson, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, lots and lots of people,”” said Jon Spencer, Heavy Trash vocalist and guitarist.

Spencer, previously of Pussy Galore, conceived Heavy Trash in New York with long time friend, Matt Verta-Ray. After crossing paths numerous times during various musical projects, the two decided to combine their forces toward a common love.

“”We had both been in New York City, playing with our own bands. A couple years ago, we started hanging out and playing rockabilly,”” Spender said. “”That’s what really started the Heavy Trash thing, our love of rockabilly.””

The rest is history. The band has toured all over the world and has been spreading its unique style of music all across the country since October. Just because the band is well traveled doesn’t mean they have never heard of Tucson.

“”I’ve spent a lot of time in Arizona,”” Spencer said. “”I’ve played in Phoenix and Tucson – both places a number of times. People in Arizona have always been very nice. I’m very fond of the place.””

The band even makes reference to our bright, desert home in the song, “”They Were Kings.”” The line in the song, “”They were from the desert in the Arizona sun,”” refers to a Tuscsonan band that Spencer was a fan of.

“”There used to be this great band called Doo Rag in Tucson”” Spencer said. “”In the song ‘They Were Kings’ when it references the ‘Arizona sun,’ it’s talking about Doo Rag.””

Now it’s Heavy Trash’s turn to be king of Tucson with its spiritual yet hedonistic show at Plush.

“”The live show is going to have great energy, like church, but with alcohol,”” Spencer said. “”We try our hardest, and it’s going to be a real high-energy, very powerful and soulful rock ‘n’ roll show.””

Power Solo from Denmark will open for the band, then Spencer and Verta-Ray will join the group to play as Heavy Trash.

Heavy Trash plays tonight at Plush, 340 E. Sixth St., at 9:30. Tickets for this 21-and-over show are $10.