Get your summer sizzling

A squash caramelo, fresh and ready to enjoy.

Summer is here, and so is delicious produce. This recipe for squash and corn caramelos integrates summer squash, zucchini and corn into a cheesy, gooey treat that’s perfect for lunch.

Cheesy squash caramelos

A caramelo is just a quesadilla with two tortillas — it takes a little more balancing to flip, but can hold more cheese and filling (always a plus).

Dice the zucchini and yellow squash into small cubes. Peel the corn and, using a sharp knife, cut away the kernels from the cob. Chop the jalepeño finely. Grate the cheese. Set aside.

In a pan, heat about 1/2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add jalepeño and cook for about a minute, just to release the jalepeño flavor into the oil. Then add the corn and squash. Stir. Add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper for a little added spice. Cook 3-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

When vegetable mix is cooked, scoop into a bowl. Now coat the pan with a thin layer of butter and heat over medium-high heat. Add one tortilla, a scoop of vegetable filling and a generous amount of cheese. Cover with another tortilla.

Cook for 1-2 minutes until tortilla is browned and cheese is melted. Flip.

Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Plate and serve with salsa.

Chili-spiced mango

To top off your caramelo, enjoy some chili-spiced mango. Mangoes are fresh and in season right now, so slice one up. Cut the mango into two halves, avoiding the center seed. Cut the halves and any remaining fruit off the seed and cut into cubes. Sprinkle chili powder on the mango and enjoy. It’s simple, but delicious.