Police Beat: Jan. 12

Wheelin’ and stealin’

A UA student reported at 6:07 a.m. on Monday that the front wheel of his bike had been stolen. Police arrived at the scene and learned that the bike was a Raleigh brand touring bike. The report was filed at 1040 E. Fourth St. at the bike rack. The University of Arizona Police Department searched the surrounding areas for the wheel and suspects, but could not find either. There is no further information at this time.

Writing on the wall

A Parking and Transportation Services employee noticed black spray paint on the fifth level of the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage on Monday. A UAPD officer arrived on the scene and noticed the graffiti written on the concrete wall. The letters spelled out “SCRUB” vertically. The graffiti was just to the right of the elevator. The last time PTS checked for graffiti was on Jan. 6. There are no suspects, witnesses or further information at this time.

Blue bag goes bye bye

A resident assistant at Colonia de la Paz Residence Hall stumbled upon a bag of marijuana lying in the hallway at 9:20 a.m. on Monday. He called UAPD, who arrived at the scene and questioned the RA. The RA said he did not touch the bag nor did he see anyone drop it or come near it. UAPD officers confiscated the blue bag of marijuana and placed it into property and evidence for destruction. No further investigation was needed.

Dude, where’s my car?

A UAPD officer arrived at the Park Avenue Parking Garage on Monday where he found a car that a student had reported stolen days before. A UAPD officer called the student and informed him and his parents they had recovered the car. Upon arriving, the student informed the police that it may not have been stolen and that he misplaced the car and couldn’t remember where he parked. He also said that there was nothing missing from the car. The vehicle was released back to the owner and the car was taken off the reported-stolen list.

A hurt vehicle

During winter break, UAPD officers responded to a UA employee who reported that his work vehicle, a white Chevrolet truck, had been damaged. The officers took photographs of the damages, which had been in the left rear panel of the car next to the wheel well. The wheel and the hood were also damaged. UAPD officers said that the damage from the hood could have come from a person or a large object. There are no suspects at this time.

Gettin’ high up high

During winter break, a UAPD officer responded to a maintenance call from a UA employee who was working on the top of a university building. The employee noticed marijuana and drug paraphernalia in the corner of the rooftop. Police arrived at the scene and received custody of the illegal items. Officers said that the illegal items may have been stored on the rooftop due to the cleaning out of the residence halls. There are no suspects and the investigation has been closed.