Shelton surprises students in class

President Robert Shelton talks with undeclared freshman Zac York yesterday morning while touring some morning classes and the Student Union Memorial Center with student body President Erin Hertzog.

Several students stopped in their tracks, whispering as they gazed at President Robert Shelton, who was keeping his January promise of being accessible to students by visiting classrooms and touring the UA campus yesterday morning.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Erin Hertzog joined Shelton, surrounded by a bustle of students headed toward classes, and provided an inside view of issues important to the campus community.

They began their walk at the Social Sciences building around 10 a.m. with appearances in class and then moved to the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Leaning Center, where Hertzog pointed out various features of the facility.

Shelton took a minute to ask Zac York, an undeclared freshman, what he thought of his semester so far, as the undeclared freshman used a forearm crutch to maneuver down a ramp.

“”It’s great,”” said York, as Shelton held the door for him. “”I’ve already got lost a couple times and used the compass in my watch to orient myself.””

“”So you’re going to be an astrophysics major,”” joked Shelton.

Afterward, professor Thomas Park handed Shelton his microphone for an impromptu speech after the new president and Hertzog walked into a nearly packed anthropology lecture in the ILC.

“”We’re thrilled to come to this great university so we can make it even greater,”” said Shelton.

The two then headed to the UofA Bookstore in the Student Union Memorial Center, where Hertzog pointed out that software and book bundles could cost students more money by packaging items they don’t always need.

“”Once the plastic wrap is broke, these students are stuck,”” said Hertzog. “”This is something that we really need to look into.””

Shelton chatted with bookstore associate Marlene Smith, who recently retired from Chicago’s public school system after working there for 34 years, about the semester’s book-buying frenzy.

“”I’m very happy to help out,”” said Smith, who taught seventh- and eighth-grade special education.

“”I was having separation anxiety,”” she said. “”I was going to cry because I missed the beginning of the school year so much, so it’s great being here.””

Up the stairs, Shelton and Hertzog chatted with former ASUA senator Heather Spicer about greek bids and rushes, leaving her with an amicable impression of the new president.

“”You can feel that he’s so embracing,”” said Spicer. “”He’s definitely listening when you talk.””

After admiring the long boards of two freshmen in the student union’s main passageway, the pair retired upstairs to the Cactus Grill for wraps, rounding off the morning.

Shelton ordered grilled chicken with jalapenos, tomatoes and cheddar in a spinach tortilla – before taking Hertzog’s advice and adding black beans.

“”I’m taking your advice, Erin,”” said Shelton. “”I’m going core.””