Police Beat

Man admits to using a vaporizer to smoke marijuana

Two men were cited for marijuana possession on Nov. 25 at 10:32 p.m.

Police responded to Kaibab-Huachuca Residence Hall in reference to the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. When they arrived, they met the on-duty resident assistant, who escorted officers to the area where he said he smelled the marijuana.

Police reported that they immediately smelled the odor in the hall. They knocked on the door and made contact with a man in the room. He told officers they could come inside. The odor of marijuana was stronger inside the room.

There were two other men in the room. Two of the men identified themselves as residents of the room. The other man was a guest of one of the residents. One of the residents and the guest had bloodshot, watery eyes. Because of this, they were asked to stick out their tongues. When they did, police noticed a greenish tint to them.

Police had two of the men sit outside. They questioned one of the residents, who told them that about 30 minutes before, he had smoked marijuana with the guest inside of the room. He said they used a vaporizer he owned to smoke the marijuana.

Police asked him if there was any other marijuana or paraphernalia in the room. The man said yes, and then went under his bed and pulled out a lock box. Inside there was a baggie containing marijuana, a vaporizer and pipes. He told police his roommate had not smoked marijuana with them.

The man’s guest was then asked to talk to police. He said that earlier he and his friend smoked marijuana from a vaporizer inside the room. He also told officers that the man’s roommate did not smoke with them.

The other resident was then interviewed. He told officers he was not in the room when the other men were smoking marijuana. They asked him if he could smell the marijuana when he came into the room. He said he noticed an odor but did not know what it was.

One resident and his guest were cited and released on charges of possession of marijuana. The resident was also cited for possession of drug paraphernalia. Both were referred to the Dean of Students Office. The contents of the lock box were confiscated.

Man arrested for disobeying dog sign

A man was arrested while walking his dog on Nov. 27 at 12:57 p.m.

Police responded to 1700 W. Anklam Rd., in reference to two men walking a dog on the hill nearby after they had been told that dogs were not allowed. Police made contact with the men, who had a blue pit bull with them on a leash.

Police asked the men if they had seen any signs that said “”no dogs”” or “”no pets”” and both said no, and it was their first time walking on the hill.

Both identified themselves to officers. One man’s name did not come up during a record check. Police then asked him for his real name, and he gave them a different name. They ran the new name and found a misdemeanor warrant/probation revocation from the Tucson Police Department.

The man was placed in handcuffs and taken to the Pima County Adult Detention Center. His dog was released to the care of his friend. Both men were told they were not to be on any UA property again. If so, they would be subject to arrest for trespassing.

Speeding minors also cited for alcohol possession

Four people were cited on charges of being minors in possession of alcohol on Nov. 28 at 10:58 p.m.

A police officer pulled a car over on West Speedway Boulevard near Wilson Avenue after it was traveling 50 mph in a 35 mph zone. The officer walked up to the car, looked inside and saw a pack of 30 12-ounce cans of Bud Light beer in between the feet of the front passenger.

The officer asked the driver how old he was, and he said 18 and there was no one in the car who was over 21. The officer then made his way to the passenger side of the car. When he opened the door, he noticed the 30-pack of beers had been moved to the back seat next to two people who were under 18.

The officer had the four people in the car step out. He located a bottle of After Shock Cinnamon Liqueur under the passenger seat, a bottle of Malibu Rum under the driver’s seat and a bottle of green apple vodka in the back seat area. All of the cans and bottles were new and unopened.

The two minors were given parental referrals. The two 18-year-olds were cited and released on charges of being minors in possession of alcohol. The driver was also cited on charges of speeding and not having his license in his possession.