Highlighting the hidden talents of UA employees

On+Our+Own+Time+art+exhibit+showcases+different+mediums+and+styles+of+artwork+of+artwork.+Ranging+from+photography%2C+painting%2C+sculpture+and+more.+
Pascal Albright
“On Our Own Time” art exhibit showcases different mediums and styles of artwork of artwork. Ranging from photography, painting, sculpture and more.

For the eighth year in a row, the UA Employee Recognition Committee and the National Arts Program are showcasing art created by UA employees and their families in the “On Our Own Time” exhibit.

The exhibit features different mediums ranging from painting to sculpting.

According to Pamela Wagner, a UA administrator and the exhibit director said it’s a way for staff to get involved, express themselves and show off their talents to co-workers, students and the UA community. 

RELATED: From objects to people to exhibit

“This mixed-media art show is unique. Not only because it is art created by staff and their immediate families, but also because it is judged not by type but artistic experience,” Wagner said.

"Temple of the Moon" by Meg Muldoon on display at the 'On Our Own Time' exhibit. This art piece is a mix media piece painted on a slab of wood and is available for purchase.
“Temple of the Moon” by Meg Muldoon on display at the ‘On Our Own Time’ exhibit. This art piece is a mix media piece painted on a slab of wood and is available for purchase.

This exhibit reaches out to all artists, ranging from beginner to professional. Awards are given out in multiple categories.

Micheala Todd, an administrative assistant in Department of Pediatrics, won first place for her artwork which was inspired by her daughters.

“My main subject to paint is my daughters, that makes it extra special to be involved,” Todd said.

For Todd, an experience like this exhibit gives artists that ability to be recognized by both co-workers and the community.

“I didn’t know a lot of my co-workers made art. The gallery is a great way to see another side of the professional and academic roll we hold as staff,” Todd said.

This year, one of Todd’s daughters was also entered in the exhibit.

Jennie Norris, a graphic designer for Facilities Management, won the best in show award for her piece “Jimmy”, a pencil drawing of a Native American man.

RELATED: Finding your voice; Fred Fox School of Music hosts annual opera competition

Norris has been producing art as a way to relax and take her mind off of work. She has entered artworks in the last three “On Our Own Time” exhibits, but this is the first year she won the best in show award.

“I’ve gotten lots of first place, second place, a few third and a lot of none, so it’s always exciting when you win ‘Best in Show’ especially when you don’t expect it,” Norris said.

Norris works primarily in pencil, but has explored other mediums. This exhibit is important to Norris because it provides her a place to display her talents and get her artwork into the community.

Different styles of art are on display at the "On Our Own Time" exhibit, all done by employees or their immediate family members. Put on by The UA Employee Recognition Committee and the National Arts Program this exhibit allows the community to see works of art done by 'everyday workers'.
Different styles of art are on display at the “On Our Own Time” exhibit, all done by employees or their immediate family members. Put on by The UA Employee Recognition Committee and the National Arts Program this exhibit allows the community to see works of art done by ‘everyday workers’.

This year the exhibit was moved to The Biosciences Research Lab because the previous location was unavailable. The new venue offered “nice lighting and a nice environment to showcase these pieces of art,” according to Wagner.

Wagner and the artists are planning for next year’s exhibit.

“This truly is a community effort and I am grateful for all the artists entering their work, as well as those who made this show come to life,” Wagner said.

For information on the exhibit and this year’s winners, visit the National Arts Program website.

Follow Daily Wildcat on Twitter