Britton talks ASU rivalry

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Sun Devils lose 31-10
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat Sun Devils lose 31-10

Former Arizona offensive lineman and current Jacksonville Jaguar Eben Britton stopped by the Mike Stoops press conference on Monday. The right tackle played 15 games in 2009 after being drafted 39th overall. The former Wildcat started seven games for Jacksonville this season before being placed on injured reserve due to a season-ending shoulder surgery. Britton discussed Arizona’s rivalry with ASU, his rehab process and the progress of his former and current teammate Mike Thomas.

On what he remembers from the rivalry:

It’s bitter, man. We hate those guys. There’s no ifs, ands or buts about it. It’s a huge rivalry. As a young guy, you don’t really understand that hatred. Watching them now, being out of here for two years and seeing the guys that I’ve played with doing so well and finally getting the ball rolling here, especially last year. It makes me proud to be a Wildcat. We got to go take it to these guys this weekend. That’s just the way it’s got to be, and that’s the way this rivalry is. They’re going to come at us, and we’ve got to come at them a little harder.

On the trash talk that happens on the field against ASU:

A lot of stuff you can’t say on TV, probably. You name it, it’s getting said. People are spitting on each other. It’s nasty. That’s how this rivalry is. That makes it fun, it’s awesome for that. It’s funny being in Jacksonville. Our offensive coordinator is Dirk Koetter (former ASU head coach). Last year, we had a bet going about the game. And thankfully, we won and I got to talk a little smack to him in the locker room. It’s bitter.

On whether or not he’s going to the game:

Oh yeah, I’ll be there. Sidelines. Last year on our bye week, I got to come down for the UCLA game, so I’m excited to be here. Good to be back — see the guys. I’m going to talk to the team a little this week so, whatever I can do to help out.

On Mike Thomas’ game winning-catch a few weeks ago:

Pandemonium. It was amazing. Mike’s one of those guys who, really, to be honest, is doing the same thing in the NFL that he did here. He’s really making a name for himself. Everybody’s going to know about Mike Thomas in a few years. It’s exciting to see, and it’s good to have a good friend on the team that I know so well. It made the transition a lot easier.

On his recovery:

It’s good, it’s going well. Wednesday, I’ll be a month out of surgery. Went down and saw Dr. (Jack) Andrews, took care of it. This is something that I’ve been working on through my whole career, so I’m excited that when I get back it will be

brand new.