Coronado suicide shocks residents

A pre-pharmacy sophomore and Coronado dormitory resident attempted suicide in her room Sunday evening.

University officials confirmed her death yesterday afternoon, although the case is still under investigation.

“”The student did pass away because of an apparent suicide,”” said Johnny Cruz, UA director of news services and media relations.

Because of the sensitive nature of the case, the Wildcat will not release the student’s name.

Sgt. Eugene Mejia, public information officer for the University of Arizona Police Department, said more information would be released once the case was closed.

Elizabeth Harper, a biology freshman, and Candice Hoyle, an undeclared freshman, were kept from their fourth-floor dorm rooms for several hours Sunday evening.

“”We already have to get adjusted to everything else, and then it happened,”” Hoyle said. “”It’s overwhelming right now.””

Carol Thompson,

SEEKING HELP: Any student who is having suicidal thoughts or knows someone who is should contact CAPS at 621-3334. Students can also call the Southern Arizona Mental Health Center 24 hours a day at 622-6000.

assistant vice provost and senior associate dean of student affairs, said a team of people including members of Life Work Connections and Counseling and Psychological Services met with residents, the victim’s roommate and suitemates.

Thompson said contact would continue with those students and any student who wants assistance.

Marian Binder, director of CAPS, said the center has been speaking with students about the death, giving them guidelines and advice.

“”We have been telling students what we know, in order to dispel any rumors,”” she said.

She said students were told the basics of the student’s death, but were not given specifics such as the room number or how it happened.

Thompson said the UA has contacted the victim’s

By the Numbers

7: Number of UA studnet sucideds during the last three school years

6th: The state of Arizona’s national rank in suicide deaths

2nd: Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among college students

family and will be assisting them with follow-up procedures.

“”At times like this, we want students to know that it’s very normal to have a wide variety of emotional reactions,”” Binder said. “”I encourage students to talk to someone, come in during our walk-ins and give support to one another.””

Christie Autenreith, a speech, language and hearing sciences sophomore and resident assistant on Coronado’s sixth floor, attended a mandatory meeting Sunday night. Autenreith said that one of the residents she talked to had met the victim before the start of classes.

“”(The resident) said she was really nice and happy,”” Autenreith said.

Laurel Westbrook, a psychology freshman and sixth-floor Coronado resident, said she was surprised to know that the incident took place so close to her room.

“”It was really hard to hear,”” Westbrook said. “”It’s devastating, it’s really devastating.””