Police Beat

M.I.P. trifecta in play

Three women were cited and released for being minors in possession of alcohol and one was transported to University Medical Center on March 13 at 1:45 a.m.

Police responded to the Coronado Residence Hall in reference to a woman who appeared extremely intoxicated.

Officers went to the woman’s room where there was a strong smell of intoxicants. When they arrived police could see the woman curled up on her bed. There were two other women with the student.

Officers asked the woman to stand on her own and she could not. They then asked her to sit, and she almost missed the chair as she sat down. The woman sat slouched in the chair, fading in and out of sleep.

One of the other women told police that the woman in the chair was acting that way because of alcohol; there were no drugs involved. Tucson Fire Department responded and transported the woman to UMC.

Police then talked with the other women. One said that she was “”sober,”” but when asked if she had anything to drink, she said, “”Not very much.”” Because she was only 18, she was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

The other woman was having trouble balancing while talking to officers. She also dropped multiple things and had to brace herself with furniture and walls to pick it up. The woman had slurred speech and red, bloodshot, watery eyes. She was also cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

An officer then took the “”sober”” woman to the hospital to check on her friend. The woman who was admitted to the hospital was released around 5 a.m., where she was met by an officer who cited her for being a minor in possession of alcohol.

All three women were also referred to the Dean of Students Office.

It’s best to have corroborative stories…

Two men were warned for trespassing on March 15 at 8:15 p.m.

Police responded to the area near Mountain Avenue and Speedway Boulevard in reference to two men carrying a bicycle seat and tire. Police made contact with the men who were argumentative but eventually followed directions and sat down so police could speak with them.

When told why they had been stopped, both men began to laugh. One of the men told the officer that his friend had given them the bicycle parts. He said he did not know where his friend lived, his phone number, or his last name. He told officers that he knew the story sounded suspicious, but it was true. He denied stealing any bicycle parts.

The other man told officers that the bicycle parts were his but he had given them to his friend, the other man on the scene, when they were downtown. He said that the other man had been carrying the parts all afternoon. When police told him the story that the other man told them, the man refused to speak anymore.

Police then returned to the first man and told him what his friend had said. He also refused to speak after hearing that their stories did not match up.

Police informed the men that because they had conflicting stories, it appeared as if they parts were stolen. Both men were warned for criminal trespassing since they have no affiliation with the UA. Officers confiscated the tire and seat and placed them into safekeeping. They told the men they could be picked up at the police station as long as the men could give a complete description of them, such as brand name and markings.