Calendar

Today

• Turkish Society Film Screening – “”Gonul Yarasi,”” which means “”Lovelorn,”” will beshowing. The film’s main character, “”Nazim,”” which sounds a lot like “”Nazism,”” is an idealist returning home after being away for 15 years teaching in a remote village in Turkey. This film is in Turkish with English subtitles. 7 p.m. $3. CǸsar E. Chávez building, Room 301
  • Spike and Mike’s 2007 Sick and Twisted Festival of Animation – This is the last day you’ll be able to watch gross and obnoxious cartoons like new bits from “”Happy Tree Friends”” and “”Dr. Tran.”” This year’s list of short films includes “”Baby Hunter,”” “”The Boy Who Could Smell the Future”” and “”My First Boner.”” 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.
  • Tomorrow

• Other Voices Women’s Reading Series – UA masters graduate TC Tolbert, a gender-queer feminist, photographer, thinker and poet, will be giving a poetry reading along with Shannon Cain, executive director of the local feminist-literature publishing company Kore Press. Free. 7 p.m. Free. Antigone Bookstore, 411 N. Fourth Ave.

• Birdmonster – They’ve toured with Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah and Art Brut, and they’re quickly gathering a following, which means you better go to this show so you can brag about how you saw them before they were big. With The Swim and Division Day. 9:30 p.m. $6. Plush, 340 E. Sixth St. (21+)
  • Saturday

• Nice Boys – The Nice Boys play power-pop with songs like “”Teenage Nights”” and “”Cheryl Anne Carry On.”” Their vocals sound like a lazy Mick Jagger but the upbeat funkiness of their music makes up for it. With the Okmoniks, Birthday Suits and Time Flys. 10 p.m. $5. Vaudeville Cabaret, 110 E. Congress St. (21+)

Sunday

• Spring Break Hardcore Metalfest – Undertow presents such a hard-rocking show that it had to be done over spring break so you could recuperate before going to class again! With performances by Obskurity, Burning the Masses, Darkness Before the Dawn, A Breath Before Surfacing and more, this is an all day event that will leave you deaf. 4:30 p.m. $10. The Rock, 136 N. Park Ave.
  • Cult Classic: “”The Jerk”” – Bookmans presents the screening of the cult classic “”The Jerk,”” a film about an imbecile who luckily comes across a strange invention that makes him filthy rich. If stupid people can prosper, then why are we going to college? 10 p.m. $5. The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd.
  • Bark Bark Bark – Bark Bark Bark plays fun electro-popish music, like HelloGoodbye but more experimental and serious. It’ll be an up-close and personal show because Dry River is a personal venue, but all of the bands are sure to win your musical hearts. With Anavan, HEALTH, and Clipd Brakes. 7 p.m. Donations accepted. Dry RiverCollective, 740 N. Main St.
  • Monday

• “”Kicking Ass at Life”” class – This is an ongoing Buddhist philosophy and meditation class that sounds like it would most certainly be empowering if not relaxing. 5 p.m. Free. Three Jewels, 314 E. Sixth St.
  • Two Ton Boa and 31 Knots – If you like Grey Does Matter, El Perro Del Mar, or even know who those bands are, you’ll love Two Ton Boa. They’re like totally indie rock and you should forego studying to go see them in their entire splendor. 9 p.m. $7. Solar Culture, 31 E. Toole Ave.
  • Tuesday

• Capoeira Class – Capoeira is the Brazilian martial art that you can learn at this free class. Capoeira strengthens your muscles and boosts confidence, and hey, chicks dig it. This class is for ages 10 and up, and being 21 fits that requirement. Plus it’ll be a fun thing to say you did over spring break. 6 p.m. Free. Skrappy’s, 201 E. Broadway Blvd.
  • “”Art in Bloom”” – Tucson Botanical Gardens is having their yearly “”Art in Bloom”” public sale and exhibition of garden art produced by Arizonans. This is art that you would be able to put in a garden but I’m sure some of the items would make unique additions to your dorm room. 8:20 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. $5 for adults, $2.50 for children. Tucson Botanical Gardens, 2150 N. Alvernon Way
  • Wednesday

• Triclops – What is it with the sudden influx of metal and hard rock bands coming to Tucson during spring break? Triclops is a progressive rock band that does play some slower tunes, but mostly they play their drums and bass harder than a boxer in the ring. Performing with Gito Gito Hustler, 400 Blows, and QUI. 9:30 p.m. $5. Vaudeville Cabaret, 110 E. Congress St. (21+)

– compiled by Alexandria Kassman