Gay film series sprouts wings

Don’t be surprised if Wingspan’s Reel Pride series , running tomorrow and Sunday at The Loft Cinema, 3233 E. Speedway Blvd., has you waiting in a straight line to experience the event.

Or, rather, a curvy one.

Second servings will not be optional as Wingspan brings “”Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds,”” a “”boy-meets-girl, girl-meets-boy, boy-likes-the-girl’s-boy, girl-likes-the-boy’s-girl”” movie directed by Philip Bartell.

Bartell will be present at the event, which starts tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Once Wingspan breaks you in Friday night, will do it again Sunday at 1 p.m. with “”Queer Shorts at The Loft.””

This event will feature short movies that deal with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues and themes in comedies and dramas up to 15 minutes long, said Caz Springer, a Wingspan office manager.

“”The films in this series were chosen as some of the best films that have been on the festival circuit,”” Springer said.

The Reel Pride event is a change from past years, he said.

“”Wingspan created the Reel Pride series this year as an alternative to the annual film festival,”” Springer said.

Audiences should expect to learn more than they know about gay culture, even if they already know some things, Springer said.

“”In the case of Sloppy Seconds, they can learn something about the ex-gay movement and issues of coming out as a college student, but overall, they can enjoy a good laugh,”” he said. “”The short films offer a variety of insights into the LGBT experience.””

But Springer said there is more to get out of the films.

“”I want people to enjoy being out with the LGBT community, to enjoy indie films with way smaller budgets than ‘Brokeback Mountain’, to take advantage of the opportunity to ask questions about the making of indie films, and to get a greater understanding of the diverse programming and events that Wingspan offers.””