Police Beat

A woman was cited for excessive speeding and failure to stop for police at 3:31 p.m. Feb. 11 after police observed the woman driving on East Sixth Street near North Wilson Avenue, reports stated.

The woman was traveling over 60 mph in a 30 mph zone, reports stated.

While following the vehicle, police activated their lights and the woman turned right onto North Tucson Boulevard, reports stated.

The vehicle continued traveling 10 miles over the speed limit as police followed, reports stated.

Police activated both the siren and air horn several times, but the woman showed no signs of slowing or stopping, reports stated.

The woman finally stopped near East Broadway Boulevard and North Tucson Boulevard, reports stated.

Police approached the driver and she said, “”I was looking for a place to pull over,”” reports stated.

The woman also told police her daughter was late for an audition.

The woman was cited and released, reports stated.

A student contacted police Feb. 11 after losing her $199 cell phone and $10 case somewhere on campus, reports stated.

The student had last seen her phone at 10:53 a.m. and had noticed it was missing at noon, reports stated.

The student was unaware where on campus the items had been lost, reports stated.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

A man was arrested for driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license at 5:03 a.m. Feb. 11 after police observed a vehicle traveling northbound on North Euclid Avenue, reports stated.

The vehicle was estimated to be traveling more than 50 mph in a 30 mph zone, reports stated.

Police followed the vehicle as it turned into the left-turn lane at East Speedway Boulevard and stopped at the red light, reports stated.

The vehicle turned onto East Speedway Boulevard and was stopped by police at North First Avenue, reports stated.

Police approached the vehicle and knocked on the driver’s side window, which was rolled up, reports stated.

Police asked the driver if he knew North Euclid Avenue was a 30 mph zone and the driver said, “”No,”” reports stated.

Police noticed a strong odor of intoxicants coming from the vehicle, reports stated. The driver’s eyes were extremely bloodshot, red and watery.

The driver told police he hadn’t had anything to drink because he had to work in the morning.

A records check showed the man’s license was suspended, reports stated.

Police asked the driver to step out of the vehicle and noticed an odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth, reports stated.

The driver told police he didn’t know why he had to perform a field sobriety test since he had not been drinking.

The man finally agreed to perform the tests, reports stated.

After performing the tests, the man was placed under arrest and transported to the University of Arizona Police Department to perform a breath test, reports stated.

The vehicle was impounded because of a prior DUI conviction the man had received, reports stated.

A student reported his $40 black leather wallet missing Feb. 11 from La Paz Residence Hall, 602 N. Highland Ave., reports stated.

The wallet contained $92, credit and debit cards and the student’s CatCard, reports stated.

The student told police he had last seen his wallet at 7 p.m. when he used his CatCard to enter the residence hall. He noticed it was missing 10 minutes later, reports stated.

The student told police he searched everywhere and retraced his steps, but was unable to locate the wallet.

The student cancelled his credit and debit cards, but told police he was worried because his CatCard had $680 on it, reports stated.

The student attempted to contact the CatCard office, but it was closed, reports stated.

A woman was arrested for possession of narcotics, use of narcotics and possession of narcotic paraphernalia at 10:11 p.m. Feb. 11 after police observed her driving with no headlights on, reports stated.

Police stopped the vehicle after the woman turned onto North Highland Avenue from East Seventh Street, reports stated.

As police approached the vehicle, the woman began to exit and was told to stay in her vehicle, reports stated. Police observed a syringe with an orange cap in plain view between the driver’s legs.

When questioned about the syringe, the woman mumbled something, reports stated.

The woman’s eyes appeared “”sleepy,”” reports stated. She had slurred speech and appeared disoriented.

Police asked her to step out of the vehicle and talk to an officer, reports stated. She took her coat with her and was asked to leave it in the vehicle.

The woman confessed to police she had “”shot up about 10 minutes ago,”” reports stated.

Police asked if she had used heroin and she said, “”yes,”” reports stated.

The woman was arrested and placed in handcuffs, reports stated.

A records check showed the woman had a warrant for trespassing issued from the Tucson Police Department, reports stated.

While searching the woman’s coat, police found a small plastic pouch with patterned red hearts printed on it containing a black, rock-like substance, reports stated. Police also found a second syringe in the same coat pocket.

The evidence was placed into property and the woman was booked into Pima County Jail, reports stated.

The woman requested her car be parked so her friend could come pick it up, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.