“Higher admissions standards, quality mark UA’s future”

In 125 years, the UA will be a more prestigious, yet extremely overcrowded place. Due to significant population growth, the UA will be forced to raise admissions standards and will finally become a selective institution. Most people in the future will get bachelor’s and master’s degrees from institutions that offer everything exclusively online, but the UA will continue the “”elite, archaic”” practice of going to class in person. Students will have to commute between several different campuses, including ones in the Foothills, the west side, Picacho Peak State Park, Nogales, Ariz. and Willcox. However, an extensive national network of high-speed rail and a citywide light rail system will make commuting between campuses a breeze.  

Even though UA will be much more selective, it will still have more than 200,000 students. The new 10-story student union will always be full of people and seating at the renovated Arizona Stadium will become a greatly fought-over commodity. Students will get around via moving sidewalks, pedestrian tunnels and indoor walkways, but will always be packed next to someone.

Lastly, the Arizona Legislature of the future will finally understand the value of a collegiate education and will refuse to cut the budget of its state’s flagship university, making the quality of education rise substantially. One thing that is certain is that UA will be a much different place, just as UA of today is nothing like the tiny agricultural college it was 125 years ago.

— Andrew Shepherd is a political science senior.