Spurs waive Marcus Williams

If only he was a point guard.

The San Antonio Spurs announced Saturday that they waived forward Marcus Williams, a former Wildcat who left after his sophomore year last season.

“”(The Spurs) had a couple of point guards get hurt, and so the final spot was either a point guard or Marcus,”” said UA head coach Lute Olson. “”That was the killer.””

Olson added that Williams’ agent, Rob Pelinka, is trying to place him with another NBA team. If that doesn’t happen, Williams will likely play in the National Basketball Developmental League in Austin, Texas.

“”That’s unfortunate, but with the type of personality he has, he’ll bounce back,”” said UA forward Fendi Onobun. “”He’s always been a go-getter type. He’s not a quitter.””

Williams, who was picked up No. 33 overall in the second round of June’s draft, was one of three Wildcats eligible for the draft after last season, along with guard Mustafa Shakur, who landed with the Sacramento Kings, and center Ivan Radenovic, who signed with CB Girona in Spain.

“”It’s a funny business,”” said UA guard Jawann McClellan. “”Mustafa makes it and Mustafa was probably one of the most criticized players to ever play here. It’s just funny how things work. …It’s just a tough break. But (Williams will) be fine.””

Lance Madden