This summer at The Loft

Sydney Richardson
    The Loft marquee on Speedway Boulevard on Thursday, July 7 in Tucson, Ariz.

The Loft Cinema offers moviegoers a multitude of novel experiences, from art house cinema to “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Known as Tucson’s premiere independent cinema, The Loft’s wide variety of film events make it a unique experience for Tucson moviegoers.

So, what’s happening at The Loft this summer?

RELATED: Summer movie guide: Check out our picks for the best movies to see this summer

“We’ve got a lot of fun and diverse programming going on here at The Loft this summer,” said theater program director Jeff Yanc. Despite the UA summer break, he hopes the cinema’s events will bring in viewers.

The Complete Studio Ghibli: A 22 Film Retrospective series has been going on all summer and runs through the end of July. This retrospective will screen 22 of the Japanese animation studio’s popular films.

A Nicolas Cage tribute series will screen every Thursday night in July with a different Nic Cage movie each time, including “Raising Arizona” and “Con Air.”

The 10th annual Loft Kids Fest offers kids nine days of free movies and activities from July 23-31.

RELATED: Super Cool News: How to have a super cool, super hot Tucson summer

The Loft also plans to host a couple of sing-a-long events. “A Hard Day’s Night” will play July 16, and the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Sing-A-Long and Quote-A-Long August 13. Subtitles will play with each film so audience members can follow along.

Yanc said before “A Hard Day’s Night,” there will be a Beatles music video Sing-A-Long.

The cinema will host their annual Sci-Fi Slumber Party August 19, which will feature seven sci-fi classics such as “They Live” and “The Fifth Element,” screened back-to-back overnight from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.

“And as always, we have our late night Cult Classics series every weekend throughout the summer,” Yanc added.

The Loft is known for hosting cult classics, and the lineup this summer includes “The Goonies”, “Ghost in the Shell” and “Shaun of the Dead”.

The Loft also teamed up with The Museum of Contemporary Art Tucson to hosts free outdoor screenings of art house films every 4th Friday of the month. The next event will take place July 22 at 8 p.m. and will screen the 1996 film, “Basquiat.”

The cinema’s First Friday Shorts contest, hosted by “Red Meat’s” Max Cannon, allows aspiring filmmakers to show their work to the public in attempts to win a monthly grand prize of $200 or an annual grand prize of $1000.

Films must be less than 15 minutes, presented on a thumb drive, DVD or Blu-Ray and brought to the theater the day of the screening. 

Follow Alfred Cirerol on Twitter.