Poli sci majors face $400 program fee

Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Political Science junior Brent Engel talks to Brint Milward, Director of the School of Government and Public Policy after a meeting that would require a $400 fee for Political Science majors, Tuesday, Feb. 9 2010 in the Koffler Building.
Rodney Haas
Rodney Haas / Arizona Daily Wildcat Political Science junior Brent Engel talks to Brint Milward, Director of the School of Government and Public Policy after a meeting that would require a $400 fee for Political Science majors, Tuesday, Feb. 9 2010 in the Koffler Building.

A $400 program fee is proposed for political science majors for next fall. A public meeting was held on Tuesday in the Henry Koffler building to give students the opportunity to discuss the fee.

The School of Government and Public Policy, which houses both political science and public administration majors, held the meeting.

“”(We are) trying to deal with a revenue source that is decreasing, almost exponentially,”” said Brint Milward, director of the School of Government and Public Policy.

The fee proposal comes in the wake of one of the worst educational budget cuts in the program’s history.

“”The $100 million (in state funding) that we lost in the last two years is the largest percentage decrease in the United States,”” said Milward. “”We’re doing everything in our power to find ways to decrease our reliance on state funding.””

The proposal will be reviewed by the Arizona Board of Regents in March, and, if passed, will take effect in the fall semester of 2010.

The fee will be charged only to political science majors with 60 or more credits. The fee will not affect minors.

The revenue created by the proposed fee will remain within the School of Government and Public Policy and will not be used to increase teacher salaries.

According to Milward, the fee will provide money for additional classes, career services workshops and better international opportunities.

The school estimates up to $500,000 per year in revenue, 10 percent of which will be immediately set aside to fund scholarships for students within the college.

Only two students attended the open meeting, which might have been a result of the announcement a mere 24 hours prior.

Brent Engel, a political sciences junior, asked just how many more seats would be available if the fee is approved.

“”It will depend on how many people choose to major in political science,”” Milward said. “”The amount of money that comes in is a direct function of the number of people who are going to major.””