Police Beat

Two students were caught shoplifting in the UA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., Jan. 9, reports stated.

A bookstore security employee saw the two men placing a book into a bookstore bag at about 9 a.m. He also saw one of the men take off his pants in the men’s clothing area and put on a pair of fleece pants from the bookstore after he removed the tag.

One of the students said he went to the bookstore with two of his friends and had purchased items in the store shortly before he put another book into his bag.

He said one of his friends stood watch for him while he put on the pants, and that he didn’t know where his other friend was.

Police spoke with the student’s friend who had left. He said he left the bookstore after he purchased his items and he showed police his receipt.

Both of the shoplifting incidents were caught on surveillance cameras. The two students were cited and released and the book and pants were returned to the bookstore.

An unknown person cut a chain and lock at the Campbell Farm, 4040 N. Campbell Ave., sometime between Jan. 6 and Jan. 9, reports stated.

An employee found a lock had been cut on a gate at about 10:40 a.m. Jan. 9.

Someone entered a lab on the farm and had gone through the drawers in the lab.

The only items missing from the lab were two hand tools.

A storage shed had also been broken into and rummaged through, although no items were missing from the shed.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student told police Jan. 9 that he had bought a Zone 1 parking permit from an unknown man at a Zone 1 parking lot, 1420 E. Sixth St., sometime during the first week in September, reports stated.

The student was able to give police the man’s name and said he sometimes sees him at the Student Recreation Center.

The student said he bought the permit from him because the man said his vehicle had been stolen so he could not use the permit.

Police told him he could be charged with possession of stolen property and told him to contact police if he had any more information about the man he bought the permit from.

The permit’s original owner told police he reported his permit as lost to Parking and Transportation Services Sept. 14.

He told police he thought the permit was in his car and that some CDs and change had also been missing from his vehicle. He said he didn’t report the missing items to police because it didn’t appear as if someone had broken into the vehicle.

Police were unable to find anyone at the university who had the name the student gave them.

A student said her license plate had been stolen after police found a stolen license plate on her vehicle, reports stated.

Police stopped her at 1711 E. Speedway Blvd., Jan. 9 after noticing that the plate on her vehicle was reported as stolen by another woman.

The student said she had noticed the plate’s date of expiration was different from hers on Jan. 2.

The owner of the stolen plate found on her vehicle was notified that it was found by police.

A UA employee said that damage to a sign in the Main Gate Garage, 815 E. Second St., appeared intentional, reports stated.

The employee was doing maintenance work in the garage when he found a hanging exit sign on the third level damaged at 10:59 a.m. Jan 10.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A man was arrested for driving with a suspended license Jan. 10, reports stated.

A police officer stopped the man at a convenience store, 1780 E. Speedway Blvd., at 11:18 a.m. because the car he was driving had no license plate or rear bumper.

A records check showed the man had a suspended license since 1988, and a warrant from the Pima County Sheriff’s department for possession of dangerous drugs and drug paraphernalia.

He was arrested and booked into Pima County Jail.

A student lost her wallet in her room in Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., Jan. 10, reports stated.

She said she had last seen her wallet from her room at 11 p.m. Jan. 9.

The wallet contained credit cards, a bank card, gift cards and cash.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu