Oprah Winfrey’s life class is attracting large scale participation, and rightly so

Imagine going through four years at the UA without communicating with an adviser. Despite the massive amount of email and bad news we receive from our advisers, there would be no way to survive without them. The world apparently feels the same about Oprah Winfrey.

Oprah is the closest thing to Superwoman the world has to offer and she is here to save you with her new “Lifeclass”.

She will be sharing her wisdom via a televised class beginning in October. The life class is a five-night, hour-long show on OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) with additional online segments for those who need even more.

Sound bizarre? More than 1 million people have signed up in hopes of learning about life in Oprah’s virtual classroom.

People take classes on a myriad of interesting subjects: cake decorating, martial arts, parenting, pole-dancing. “Life” can now be added to the list. On her website, Oprah wrote that she is overwhelmed by all the negative energy that surrounds people in their daily lives and thinks everyone can do better with the proper help.

Oprah has created an empire of people who adore, worship, and breathe by every word she speaks. If her life class was an hour a night about how to floss teeth, people would still tune in and abide by her teachings. She is the only person who could possibly get away with being a daytime television queen, philanthropist, entrepreneur, and life coach simultaneously. Not to raise Oprah’s pedestal even higher, but good for Oprah for never running out of ideas to help mankind.

The show is broadcast on OWN but, with or without cable, people can receive life help for free via the online segments. The average cost of a personal life coach is anywhere from $75-$200, or more, an hour. An unrealistic price for an unrealistic profession, another reason to be thankful for Oprah’s gratis guidance.

The class will explore “new ways of looking at life and how it works for all of us,” according to Oprah. Men need life coaching too and should not be afraid to become life 101 students. Students too, whether Oprah fans or not, shouldn’t stray away from listening to what Oprah has to say. Sometimes life, particularly in college, is overwhelming, and it can’t hurt to give a listen to some advice from Oprah.

Regardless of the class syllabus, Oprah has done it yet again making people feel better about their lives. Advisers supply academic help, Oprah supplies life help — without either, our lives would most certainly be more difficult.

As students, our friends, significant others, or bottles of Jose Cuervo are the ones we turn to for help and advice. Oprah can now be added to that list. She has devoted her entire professional life to helping others and even as a retired daytime television star, she continues to offer her words of wisdom that seem to get people through the day.

_— Caroline Nachazel is a junior studying journalism and communication. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu. _