Gymcats head to Arkansas

The Regional Championships in Arkansas this Saturday will be the final stand for the 2009 Arizona gymnastics team.

The Gymcats are 14-11 heading into Fayetteville, and would love to add this major win to their standings to finish out the season in style.

“”We’re all really pumped at this point,”” junior Sarah Tomczyk said during the final practice on Tuesday. “”We’ve all been able to regroup (over the past two weeks), and our bodies have pretty much all healed up.””

This season has marked a number of highlights, including UA head coach Bill Ryden’s 150th career win. But in order to excel at regionals, the Gymcats need to revert to the basics and precision of pure gymnastics.

“”Our Texas women’s meet was definitely a high point,”” Tomczyk said, “”and we’d love to have a repeat of that competition. We all need to come together and head out with no regrets.””

The Gymcats look to utilize the experience and leadership of their seniors and perfect the routines they’ve spent hours learning over the course of the year. There aren’t any more chances after Saturday, so the team must leave it all on the mats.

Sophomore Colleen Fisher also looks to reclaim her role in the team’s all-around, and Ryden is has faith in her capabilities.

Vault will most likely showcase the Deanna Graham-Bree Workman duo which has led the event all season.

“”Graham’s a pit bull,”” Ryden said. “”You can see it in her eyes, she’s just a fierce competitor.””

Bars will need to polish their skills and will most likely rely on freshmen Britnie Jones and Rebecca Cardenas to do just that. As Ryden has said all year, the bar team won’t always win a meet for the team, but they have the power to keep them in the running.

As for beam and floor, the team is loaded with power and precision. Beamer Bergeson looks to dominate the beam, and lead Kristen Schmieder, Katie Matusik and others to high marksðÿif the regional lineup follows the trends of the regular season thus far.

Floor has just as much talent, if not more, than any of the competition and will focus on the routines of Tomczyk, Cardenas and Workman. Tomczyk and Workman have both been named to this year’s All-Conference Floor Team, and for good reason.

Having completed two solid weeks of practice, and thrown in a little time to re-amp and recoup, the Gymcats are ready to roll into Arkansas and make a name for themselves.

“”Good workouts and bad workouts are always a choice,”” Ryden told to his team Tuesday. “”Let’s choose to be ready.””