The Hungry Student: Local Sausage Deli is good but the hours aren’t

Local Sausage Deli provides a traditional delicatessen experience to UA students and, in more recent years, Tucson locals as well. 

Sausage Deli has served fresh, fulfilling and satisfying sandwiches for over 30 years, according to its website, and has been a hot spot for UA students since 1978. The website also emphasizes the recent interest that locals and those traveling through Tucson have had in the deli. 

The restaurant is located on the corner of Grant Road and First Avenue, providing easy access, plenty of parking and a convenient stop for a delicious lunch. 

Customers are drawn in by the home-style building but stay for the extensive menu and options for beer on tap. Customers seemed to enjoy the casual dining room and outside porch, but you can choose to pick up your food to go, too.

Sausage Deli promotes itself via its traditional specials, including the Meatball Sandwich for $6.49 on a roll or upgraded to the sandwich sub for $7.49. This sandwich comes smothered in red marinara, hot, melted provolone and Parmesan, and is topped with peperoncini peppers. The sub was soft, fluffy and freshly baked.

Other specials include the Barbecue Special, made with beef and barbecue sauce, as well as the Sausage and Peppers sub, which includes Italian sausage, sauteed onions and peppers.

All specials, as well as most sandwiches, cost about the same. Customers can expect to pay around $10-15 for a lunch meal with a drink.

All sandwiches are served with a side of pickles, upholding the traditional deli style, and offering a salty, fresh addition to a delicious sandwich. All ingredients tasted fresh and the food was served quickly and correctly. 

However, the one downside to Sausage Deli is its mightily inconvenient hours. The deli is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m, making it difficult for students who have class all day to get over to the restaurant. Also, the deli is closed on Sundays.

In comparison to other sandwich shops around town, Sausage Deli definitely presents something unique. Many shops don’t offer fresh sausage in their subs. At Sausage Deli, nothing is pre-prepared, preserved or left sitting out all day like other assembly line sandwich shops. 

Meats and cheeses are freshly cut daily, and customers can expect a high-quality sandwich in a clean, welcoming and friendly environment. 

Sausage Deli also offers affordable catering, making it easy for customers to enjoy their subs at any occasion.

Overall, this deli is doing it right by providing quality meals for Tucson residents and definitely stands out among other sandwich shops in the area.

Follow Kristine Bruun-Andersen on Twitter.