Gaddy verbally recommits

Five-star point guard recruit Abdul Gaddy, from Tacoma, Wash., takes a jump shot in McKale Center during a  scrimmage on Friday. Gaddy renewed his verbal commitment on Monday to play for head coach Lute Olson in 2009.
    Five-star point guard recruit Abdul Gaddy, from Tacoma, Wash., takes a jump shot in McKale Center during a scrimmage on Friday. Gaddy renewed his verbal commitment on Monday to play for head coach Lute Olson in 2009.

On a Monday afternoon that originally began with released documents alleging UA head coach Lute Olson had committed recruiting violations, the Arizona men’s basketball program received its most prized player for the 2009-10 season.

Abdul Gaddy, a five-star point guard from Tacoma, Wash., verbally committed to Olson’s program Monday night after spending the past weekend in Tucson on an official visit, according to Rivals.com and Scout.com recruiting web sites.

Although the timelines may or may not be coincidental, one thing remains certain: neither Gaddy nor any other recruits were listed in the self-report of infraction.

As the nation’s No. 2-ranked point guard in the Class of 2009, Gaddy’s well-publicized recruiting trail came down to Arizona and UCLA.

“”I think that’s a lot (of) why I made my decision because coach Lute Olson knows how to get his guards to the NBA and that’s the ultimate goal,”” Gaddy told the Daily Wildcat at the Arizona Cactus Classic AAU tournament held in May. “”I want to go to the NBA. So that’s my ultimate choice in going here. Plus, it’s like one of my favorite schools (basketball-wise).””

During his official visit over the weekend, Gaddy played point guard in an open scrimmage on Friday with the current Wildcats. About 70 fans attended after the Zona Zoo sent out an e-mail just hours before the 4 p.m. scrimmage in McKale Center.

Back in May, Gaddy said his favorite Wildcat was Mike Bibby and wants to continue the Point Guard U reputation in Tucson.

“”(Olson) told me he was going to be here when I was here,”” Gaddy said. “”He told me that. I believed that when he said that so he kept a promise.””

Earlier last month, multiple reports cited alleged recruiting violations in John Calipari’s Memphis program, linking boosters with illegal phone calls to Gaddy’s mother.

FedEx Express president and CEO David Bronczek ð- also a Memphis booster – placed a phone call to Oseye Gaddy, a FedEx customer service representative, which led to an NCAA investigation.

“”They’re coming to play for Lute Olson at the University of Arizona,”” UA assistant coach Russ Pennell said at the Cactus Classic of recruits’ reasons to attend Arizona. “”If that’s not big enough for them then they’re probably looking for something totally different. This is still a great place to hone your skills and compete year in year out for championships.””