Before you graduate

Before you graduate from the UA, you have to take advantage of the epicurean delight that is Tucson. Tucson’s proximity to the border and its wide range of unique, family owned restaurants make exploring the city’s dining kaleidoscope a must. Who says Tucson is boring? This place is a food paradise.

Mr. Antojo’s

501 N. Park Ave.

622-0803

Nothing screams Tucson specialty cuisine like a Sonoran hot dog: a hot dog wrapped in bacon, topped with grilled onions, pinto beans, lettuce, jalapeño sauce, nacho cheese, onions and perhaps some hot sauce to suit your liking — all for around $3. This family hot-dog-stand-turned-restaurant in Jett’s Wildcat convenience store is arguably the best Sonoran stand in the Tucson metro area, with freshly baked hot dog buns cooked every day.

Gee’s Garden

1145 N. Alvernon Way

325-5353

If you’ve never eaten dim sum — a large quantity of small appetizers ordered from carts wheeled from table to table — going to Gee’s Garden, one of Tucson’s most authentic Chinese restaurants, is a must. Try their char siu bao or pork buns — absolutely delicious. At $1.50 – $5 a plate, you’re sure to enjoy plenty of different dishes for a small price.

Lovin’ Spoonfuls

2990 N. Campbell Ave.

325-7766

With a completely vegan menu, Lovin’ Spoonfuls is a rare find. And even rarer, the food is absolutely delicious, completely on par with a “”regular”” menu — you won’t even miss the cheese and eggs, not to mention the meat. With sandwiches starting at $7 – $8 and dinner around $9 – $12, it’s a little pricier, but you’ll be happy when you sit down to delicious vegan spaghetti and meatballs in animal-friendly bliss.

Mi Nidito

1813 S. Fourth Ave.

622-5081

Be prepared to wait if you go to Mi Nidito — this restaurant is famous. With pictures of presidents and other famous people tiling the walls of this colorful and inviting establishment, Mi Nidito prides itself on being the best Mexican restaurant in town. The wait is well worth it. From delicious burritos and taco plates, starting around $5.50, right down to the salsa, this restaurant means business. With delicious food, charming décor and excellent service, Mi Nidito is the champion of Mexican restaurants in Tucson, and a must-eat.