New SAPR debuts on Student Link

A more accurate and easier-to-read version of the UA student academic progress report debuted on Student Link over Spring Break, said UA administrators.

On March 13, the Degree Audit Reporting System SAPR replaced the On Course SAPR, which has been used since 1993. The transition should be simple for students, said Patti King, an associate registrar for the Registrar’s Office.

“”Instead of driving a Chevy, you’re driving a Ford,”” King said.

The new DARS SAPR will reflect a more accurate report for students’ progress in completing their degree requirements by including a section for degree requirements other than coursework and by allowing advisers to create more accurate course requirements, among other new features, said King.

The DARS SAPR will also have visual cues to make it easier to read, said Michael Alcorn, an office automation specialist for the Registrar’s Office.

For example, completed requirements will have a plus sign next to them, and requirements that have not been completed will have a minus sign, Alcorn said.

This was good news to media arts senior Lisa Rolland, who said she found the old SAPR helpful but “”a little confusing.””

Rolland said she uses her SAPR to see how close she is to finishing her requirements, but she relies on her academic adviser for planning her course scheduling.

Chris Bertrand, an ecology and evolutionary biology senior, said he has also looked at his SAPR to track his academic progress.

“”The only problem was it was a bit difficult to separate the things I still needed from what was completed,”” he said.

Cheryl Craddock, academic coordinator and adviser for the School of Natural Resources, said although there will be a “”learning curve”” for students and advisers using the new SAPR, she expects the new program to be beneficial to students.

“”It will be clearer and show what exactly they’ve done, if it fits a requirement and when they’ve completed a requirement,”” said Craddock.

The SAPR is used by advisers and students to track the degree requirements for each particular catalog and program, King said.

“”It’s a tool to supplement advising. It’s not in place of advising,”” King said.

She said it gives students an idea of what coursework and requirements they have completed and are in progress of completing.

Students can see the changes at www.sapr.web.arizona.edu and “”how to read your SAPR”” classes will be available to students, King said.

The On Course SAPR will still be available for students this semester and in the future for returning UA students who left prior to this year, said Alcorn.

The DARS SAPR was created by the Registrar’s Office, Enrollment Management and the Center for Computing and Information Technology, King said.