Hot off the presses: The best recent reads

Every day all semester long, freshly minted books have been flying off the presses while you’ve been busy at your job. If only that four-and-a-half-star review were more persuasive, maybe you’d have skimped on your history midterm and crept into the forsaken territory called “”reading for pleasure.””

But academia is unfair and, if you’re the sort who likes to indulge in a good few days of literary escapism, probably gives you some cause for despair.

Luckily, with each summer comes a sizable stack of all those books you’ve forced yourself to neglect, and maybe even sufficient time to read them all.

If your reading list isn’t already packed to the gills, here are a few recommendations equally suitable for the voracious indie bookworm and the lab attendant with a few slow afternoons.

All released since 2007, these reads are sure to amuse you, enlighten you, or simply keep you company when your booty call has better stuff to do.

Just don’t tell your friends who work three jobs and go to summer school – jealousy makes a beast of man.

1. “”No One Belongs Here More Than You.”” Miranda July.

The latest story collection by filmmaker Miranda July (“”Me and You and Everyone We Know””) introduces all the kinds of awkward characters for which she has become known. July is almost as charming in prose as on screen, with narratives ranging from an old man obsessed with his coworker’s imaginary younger sister to a woman who gives swimming lessons in her living room.

2. “”After Dark.”” Haruki Murakami.

A story of two sisters, one of whom roams about town one night while the other sleeps. Its cinematic qualities elicit constant attempts by critics to compare it to directors like Jean-Luc Godard and David Lynch.

3. “”Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson.”” Jann S. Wenner and Corey Seymour.

If you find Hunter S. Thompson’s life enviable, this biography might change your mind. It’s full of all the ugly, honest details that are often ignored while talking about the legendary madman.

4. “”You Must Be This Happy To Enter.”” Elizabeth Crane.

The Chicago writer’s third collection of short stories may not be the novel of the year, but will make a welcome addition to your coffee table or bathroom counter.

5. “”The Best Nonrequired Reading 2007.”” Dave Eggers.

Rather take recommendations from a more formidable authority? This anthology includes essays and short stories by the likes of Stephen Elliot and Miranda July, a spooky graphic novel by Alison Bechdel and even a recent high school commencement speech by Conan O’Brien.