Police Beat

Man escapes citation for marijuana possession

Police responded to La Paz Residence Hall in reference to the odor of marijuana coming from one of the rooms on March 27 at 12:10 a.m.

When police arrived, a residence assistant took police to the room where the odor was coming from. They made contact with the resident of the room. Police noticed an odor of marijuana mixed with a strong orange smell.

The resident allowed officers to come into the room. He told them that he had been in the room alone since 11 p.m. He said that the orange smell was from an air freshener in the room. Police pointed out that the orange smell was overpowering, and the man admitted to spraying orange air freshener. Police also noticed that the windows were open.

The man told officers they could search his half of the room. He said that he did not have any marijuana. While searching, police found a couple of pieces of marijuana stems in a red plastic cup in a garbage can.

The man said that he used to smoked marijuana in high school, but he had not since then. He also said that he did not smoke in the room. Officers asked to see his tongue and saw that it had a green tint to it. The garbage can the stems were found in was shared between the man and his roommate. His roommate had a friend staying with them and the man said he did not know if the marijuana was theirs.

Police found a bottle of tequila under the desk of the roommate. It was given to the RA to be taken care of. The man was not cited.

Purse thefts lead to citations for MIP at date dash

Two women were arrested for being minors in possession of alcohol March 28 at 11:20 p.m.

A manager with Wild West Promotions called police and said that he wished to report a theft from a Beta Theta Pi date dash that the company was working on 450 N. Paseo Redondo. Police told the man that the area was in Tucson Police Department jurisdiction, but the manager said that none of the people who were victims of theft wanted to press charges. They also wanted UAPD to respond because the woman who was responsible for the thefts would not give them her name.

An officer responded to the scene and met with the reporting party. He directed the officer to a woman. She was crying and telling the officer that she did not do anything wrong and she wanted to go home.

The security guard told the officer that at 10:30 p.m. she was found with a purse that had three other women’s purses inside of it.

The officer talked to the other women, who said that the woman had given them their purses back and they did not wish to press charges.

The officer then went to speak with the woman again when one of her friends approached him. She said that she was the owner of the big purse that was found in the woman’s possession. The other woman told officers that she had stolen the purses because she did not have any money.

The other woman allowed the officer to search her purse. Inside, he found a digital camera that did not belong to her. She said she did not know how the camera got into her purse, but she knew it wasn’t hers. No one at the date dash reported a missing or stolen camera.

Neither one of the women were UA students. They told officers that they were invited to the date dash by members of the fraternity but did not provide the men’s names.

Both women showed signs of intoxication including a strong odor of intoxicants and red, bloodshot, watery eyes.

Both women were cited for being minors in possession of alcohol and were released to a taxi to take them home. A referral to the Dean of Student’s Office was given to the Beta Theta Pi fraternity because of the MIPs.

Minor caught drinking in SUMC

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol March 28 at 2:10 a.m.

While patrolling near the Cellar restaurant in the Student Union Memorial Center, an officer saw two men drinking alcoholic beverages on the northwest corner of the canyon.

The officer approached the men, who were sitting on a bench.

One of the men had a Coors Light beer can between his legs. The officer asked if he was at least 21 years old and the man said that he was not.

An employee with the Student Union told the officer that the man had hidden another beer can. The officer told the man to retrieve the other beer can. The man then went to a rain drainage slot and grabbed an empty Budweiser beer can.

The man was cited and released on the scene for being a minor in possession of alcohol.