UA baseball gets romped by Cowboys

Held scoreless for its past two games, what better place to cure the No. 6 Arizona baseball team’s hitting drought than playing in a town named Stillwater?

But the Wildcat bats were kept dry last night in Oklahoma, and the wet blanket continued to derive from errors in a 10-2 loss to Oklahoma State (16-6) last night.

Arizona (13-6) has lost five of its last six games since holding the nation’s top-ranking prior to spring break.

The Wildcats committed a season-high five errors, jumping their season total to 39, just days after registering six errors in two games against USC last weekend – the first series Arizona lost.

“”We need to play better defense, plain and simple,”” UA head coach Andy Lopez said in an e-mail. “”You can’t commit five errors in a game and expect to win any game ever.””

In the first of a two-game series, Arizona committed three errors in a disastrous fourth inning, giving OSU five runs and a 6-1 lead.

Left fielder Diallo Fon misplayed a two-run single by OSU catcher Luis Flores, inciting the error brigade.

After Lopez moved Colt Sedbrook from second to third base in an attempt to shuffle the defensive miscues, Sedbrook committed two errors, including the botch of a potential inning-ending double play in the fourth inning.

“”We must do a better job of fielding the ball and playing catch,”” Lopez said.

UA starting pitcher Mike Colla allowed four earned runs and six hits through five innings pitched in the loss, while OSU starter Matt Gardner allowed only two earned runs, seven hits and one extra-base hit in 6 1/3 innings pitched.

OSU’s pitching staff registered 11 strikeouts with Fon, right fielder Brad Glenn, second baseman Mike Weldon and shortstop Bryce Ortega combining for eight.

Extra bases

Arizona broke its 20 1/3 scoreless inning streak with a sacrifice fly in the second inning by shortstop Bryce Ortega. …

Arizona concludes its mid-week two-game series at 4:30 p.m. today. Right-handed pitcher Ryan Perry will make the start for the Wildcats.