Wildcats chasing down history

Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Colin Darland
    Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Softball Notes

The Arizona softball team is chasing its own NCAA record of 126 home runs in a single season. Even with the Wildcats’ current total of 119, the 2008-2009 Arizona team already sits in second place in NCAA history. This season marks the fourth time in Wildcat history an Arizona team has hit more than 100 homeruns in a single season.

“”I think we’ve always said all year that when we’re hitting, we’re hitting and when we’re not, we’re not,”” said Brittany Lastrapes, who has 17 long balls of her own. “”Right now we’re seeing the ball and hitting it, we’re all doing good.””

Leading the pack are Stacie Chambers (26 home runs) and Jenae Leles (22), who make up the fourth pair to hit 20 or more home runs in a single season. They are ranked Nos. 1 and 2 on the NCAA home run leader board this season. ÿ

Season series

The Wildcats had the advantage of playing two games at Hillenbrand Stadium against ASU. Mother Nature, however, interfered with the Wildcats’ home field advantage. Despite the setback, Arizona won two games in Tempe to give it a single season sweep over the Sun Devils for the first time since the 2005 season.

On a heavier note, the Wildcats failed to do damage against Stanford during their road trip to the Bay Area. Although they run-ruled the Cardinal (12-4) during their April 17 matchup, the Wildcats failed to record a victory in Palo Alto, Calif. They dropped the single season series to Stanford for the first time in school history.

“”We really could have done a lot better,”” said second basemen Victoria Kemp. “”We were all disappointed, but we didn’t come back from it.””

On the road again

Arizona will finish its season on the road against Oregon and Oregon State this weekend. The fight for Pacific 10 Conference supremacy forces Arizona to finish strong on the road. This is the third straight series Arizona will spend away from Hillenbrand Stadium. Although it spent most of the month of April at home, Arizona will play all of its regular season games on the road. It is currently unknown if the Wildcats will host a Regional or Super Regional Tournament in Tucson.

“”We’re on the road the rest of the way,”” said UA head coach Mike Candrea. “”We’re going to have to win it on the road. You take them one at time. Being on the road is part of the territory.””

Cold away from the desert

Maybe Arizona plays better in the hot weather against the Pac-10. In the two weekends the Wildcats have spent out of Arizona, their offense has gone cold. Apart from the nine runs Arizona put up against UCLA on April 4, the Wildcats have only scored six runs away from Hillenbrand Stadium. Against Washington, Huskies ace Danielle Lawrie did not allow a hit and shutout Arizona for the first time in almost nine years.