Black History Month events calendar

The African American Student Affairs, in collaboration with UA and Tucson organizations, are presenting these events this week as part of this year’s Black History Month celebration.

Thursday, Feb. 4

The State of Black Arizona

Participants in this two-part event are invited to compare the experiences of African Americans in Tucson with those of other African American communities in Arizona. A celebration of the State of Black Arizona Volume II will follow the community forum.

E-mail eventrsvp@asu.edu to make reservations. The Historical Manning House, 450 W. Paseo Redondo, 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. community forum, 4:30 p.m. – 6 p.m. celebration.

Artist talk: “”Defaced: A Found Archive””

Graduate student Coriana Close will discuss key images from her exhibition, “”Defaced: A Found Archive,”” and how they address issues of racism, misogyny and free speech.

Union Gallery, third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center, 6 p.m. Free to the public.

Friday, Feb. 5

AASA Board Block Party Preview

The African American Students Affairs Programming Board will end the first week of Black History Month with a casual reception. Anyone who wishes to perform in the annual block party can audition at this reception.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center, 1322 E. First St. 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Open to the public.

Monday, Feb. 8

Screening of “”Mississippi Burning””

Join Africana Studies lecturer Dr. Geta LeSeur and Africana Studies professor Elwood McDowell for a screening and discussion of the film “”Mississippi Burning.”” The film portrays two law enforcement agents investigating the disappearance of three civil rights workers in a small Southern town.

Gallagher Theater, 7 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 10

LGBT Identities: Being Out and/or Allied

A panel comprised of members from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities will discuss racism and homophobia in the LGBTQ and black communities. Refreshments will be provided.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Student Center, room 100, 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

*Times and locations are subject to change. Contact African American Students Affairs at 621-3419 for more information.