Welcome to the Dirty T: Mackenzie Bevington

Correction: Feb. 7, 2015—We have deleted the sentence “Bevington served as one of the directors of I Will and expressed how integral the dedication of student groups has been to her experience on campus” because Bevington was not actually involved with the campaign her freshman year, and Vox only recently became involved with the I Will campaign. 

Mackenzie Bevington is an out-of-state student more involved in the university and Tucson community than most students. 

She is the public relations and social media chair for Voices for Planned Parenthood, or VOX, a group that represents much of what Tucson stands for.

Coming from Boise, Idaho, law sophomore Bevington came to study at the UA with a full-ride scholarship. She has learned about policies in this community and others that inspire her to stay committed to both activism and academics.

By choosing to live downtown, Bevington has immersed herself in the culture of Tucson and says that its quirkiness and small-city vibes remind her of home. This comfort has motivated Bevington to make UA and its surrounding areas a better-educated and countercultural home away from home.

She wore a button that read “cats against catcalls” that was crafted at one of the events this week. The button features cute kitties and a feminine touch but asserts a statement that many other students can relate to.

VOX is involved in the I Will campaign because it is one of the clubs within the Women’s Resource Center that has worked with Feminists Organized to Resist, Create, Change and Empower, along with Associated Students of the University of Arizona to make this week bigger and better than ever.

Of course, healthcare is crucial in many sexual assault cases and Bevington and the rest of VOX are spreading the word as to why women need this access to healthcare—especially in unfortunate situations—along with education on safe sex and healthy relationships. This law student cannot imagine a world without the presence of this organization that seeks to provide an affordable and safe place for all of her fellow women.

Bevington has been grateful for the outreach to people of all genders and comfort levels. Although people may not be as quick to become involved or speak out, the I Will campaign has inspired a desire for education and the ability to listen to peers with valuable wisdom.

Bevington hopes for a large showing at the final event that wraps up this week, a screening of “The Hunting Ground”. The film investigates the negativity of the rape culture against which Bevington and her colleagues fight vigilantly. 

Follow Gretchyn Kaylor on Twitter