Raucous revelry at the Renaissance Festival

Upon walking through the front gates of the Arizona Renaissance Festival and Artisan Marketplace you’ll find yourself in 16th century Europe.

“”Enjoy the men in tights; we’ll see you in confession,”” the Friar explains with a stone expression as ladies make their way in.

Men in tights indeed, the festival has more than 2000 costumed performers, not including patrons who chose to play the part.

Festivities start at 10 a.m. with a pre-opening performance at 9:45a.m. With a shot of the cannon and the yell of “”Let the revelry begin!”” patrons start to file in. The festival boasts more than 200 rustic shops, studios and galleries each with their own unique artisan crafts to be found. There are pubs and kitchens galore with people-powered rides and attractions spread out over the 30 acres of permanently constructed buildings. The event is open until 6 p.m. and there are shows for all tastes, from the Joust attended by the Royal Court to the not-child-appropriate, raunchy Ded Bob show.

The festival is one of the largest in the country and is in its 21st season of raucous revelry. There is more merriment and mayhem to be found than one may know what to do with. Attractions for all ages can be found, including a Story Book walk through and petting farm for the younger crowd. Games are available for the daring and if you’re willing to immerse yourself fully, costumes can be rented for about $40 for the day.

Discounted tickets are available at Fry’s Foods with full price tickets available at the festival. Tickets may also be purchased online. The Festival is located just east of Phoenix on US Highway 60 and from Tucson west of Florence Junction on Highway 60. The drive can vary from an hour and a half to two hours, however time is irrelevant if you keep in mind you’re traveling back more than 300 years. The Renaissance Festival is open Saturdays and Sundays (as well as President’s Day Monday) from February 7th until March 29th. There is plenty to do and alcohol is served, so grab a pint and be merry at the Annual Arizona Renaissance Festival. There is fun to be had for lords and ladies alike!