Seniors swim in last meet at Hillenbrand

It will be a series of lasts and a series of unknowns for the No. 4 Arizona women’s and No. 5 men’s swimming and diving teams as they enter their final dual meet of the season.

For the seniors, tomorrow’s meet against the No. 21 ASU men and No. 23 women will be their last at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center and their last in Arizona red and blue.

“”It’s funny that you don’t really think about things being over until it’s kind of like here,”” senior Whitney Myers said.

“”I’m kind of mad at myself that I didn’t enjoy those opportunities more and embrace the team and embrace the challenges,”” she said.

Come the fall, Myers will continue to train with the Wildcats for the 2008 Olympic trials, but she said it will still be hard for her not to be in the water with her teammates.

“”Instead of actually racing and competing and getting in there and fighting to score points for the team, next year I’ll be on the sidelines cheering, not being able to do anything,”” she said.

Fellow senior Adam Ritter agreed with Myers and said he is living in the moment and looking forward to the next few months.

“”I totally didn’t realize it was my last meet at Hillenbrand, but I’m looking forward to it,”” he said. “”Even after this, I’m still going into a different phase in my career. … It’s just a different beginning, I guess.””

But first the teams will try to keep present streaks going against ASU.

The UA women (7-2, 3-2 Pacific 10 Conference) undefeated against the Sun Devils (4-5, 1-4) since 2000, while the Wildcat men (5-3, 2-2) have been victorious against the ASU men (1-6, 0-4) five out of their last seven meetings.

“”It’s great to win any dual meet, and obviously it’s great to win a competition over our in-state rivals,”” Myers said. “”But to be honest, ASU is not our biggest competition in the (Pacific 10 Conference) or nationally.””

UA head coach Frank Busch said he understands the importance of the UA-ASU rivalry, but he said he tends to focus on the coming months.

“”I think the nice thing about in-state rivals and a rival is that your kids get focused on last meet … (and it’s the) final tune-up for your conference meet, just kind of look at it that way,”” he said.

Busch said the team’s goals of winning the Pac-10 and NCAA championships are becoming tangible.

“”If you have enough quality people, then your depth is better, and when depth is good, your relays are strong,”” he said. “”We’ll do well just because of our depth and our quality.””

At the top of the list … again

For the second time this season, 12 different Arizona swimmers have posted NCAA top-five individual times out of the 19 respective events, according to the latest NCAA top-times list.

Leading the men in individual times was junior Albert Subirats, with a top time in the 100-yard freestyle, the backstroke and the butterfly.

Ritter posted a first-place time in the 200y individual medley, while freshman Jack Brown had another in the 400y individual medley.

On the women’s side, Myers and junior Lacey Nymeyer posted two top-times each: Myers in the 100y butterfly and the 200y IM, and Nymeyer in the 100y and 200y freestyle events.

Sophomore Lara Jackson was also at the top of the 50y freestyle list.

The men’s team as a whole held top times in four out of the five relay events. The women’s team led the list in three of five events.