Music graduate gets vocal with politics

Rebecca Bloomfield is graduating in three and a  half years as a music major and political science minor and will perform in the annual Holiday Card to Tucson concert Dec. 2.
    Rebecca Bloomfield is graduating in three and a half years as a music major and political science minor and will perform in the annual “”Holiday Card to Tucson”” concert Dec. 2.

Some of Tucson’s best choral groups will gather for the annual “”Holiday Card to Tucson”” concert Sunday night. For Rebecca Bloomfield, it will be her fourth and final performance in the traditional show.

The music senior is excited about the show that will kick off a big month in her life. Bloomfield will be graduating after just three-and-a-half years at the UA. She will be leaving with over 160 units: an impressive illustration of her academic commitment.

Recently, she was selected as the School of Music’s outstanding senior for December 2007.

Bloomfield began her studies as a performance major but she later found out it wasn’t for her.

“”A singer’s lifestyle is very difficult,”” she said. “”Uncertainty was not something I was ready for.””

More important was Bloomfield’s desire to attend law school. Balancing her aspirations, she decided to pursue a vocal studies major with a political science minor.

One of Bloomfield’s favorite classes has been Music 334: Music in World Cultures. The music elective course focuses on non-western music, a topic that classically-trained musicians usually don’t spend too much time with.

“”(Music electives) helped me get a different perspective as a whole,”” she said. “”It’s very interesting to have this different element to music.””

This passion for broadened views also extends to her future with political science.

“”I really would like to work in cross-cultural communication and collaboration,”” she said.

Bloomfield sees her future self working to help bring political bodies together without losing precious cultural values.

She has already made a difference at home. Bloomfield has been involved with Project Vote Smart, a non-profit organization designed to collect and distribute election and candidate information.

“”Its main focus is to educate the voting population without bias,”” Bloomfield said.

After much volunteer work and a one-semester internship with the organization, she seems pleased with her efforts. She is proud to have been involved with a group that encourages people to “”learn about facts instead of making assumptions.””

After graduation, Bloomfield is looking to “”go into the work force”” and gain some job experience. She’s currently in the process of applying for law schools. She hopes to study international law on the east coast.

The “”Holiday Card to Tucson”” concert will be held Sunday, Dec. 2 at St. Augustine Cathedral, 192 S. Stone Ave. The concert’s two showings are at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Contact Bruce Chamberlain at the music department at 621-9929 for additional information.