Opera program presents comic one-acts

Sounds of song and laughter will fill the summer air this weekend when the School of Music presents “”An Evening of Comic One-Acts.””

The event, put on by the UA’s summer opera program, will present two comic one-act operas: “”The Impresario”” by W.A. Mozart and “”Gianni Schicchi”” by Giacomo Puccini.

“”They are very charming, delightful and lots of fun,”” said director Kristen Dauphinais. “”There is good humor in all of them. If you have never seen an opera before, this is a wonderful way to start the summer.””

“”The Impresario,”” the first presentation, is a 45-minute “”updated opera”” production set in the 1940s, Dauphinais said. It has English dialogue intermixed with song so that it seems more like a musical than an opera.

“”It is about two stage divas and the impresario who is trying to get them to star in the same show,”” she said.

“”Gianni Schicchi,”” the second presentation is an hour-long traditional comic opera presented in Italian. It takes place in 1299 in Florence and tells the story of a rich uncle who, upon his death, upsets his relatives by leaving his entire fortune to friars. His family decides to hire Gianni Schicchi to try and get the money back.

Because this opera will be presented in Italian, “”supertitles”” will be displayed above the actors on a projection screen, Dauphinais said.

“”Think of it like subtitles in a movie, except that the actors are live onstage,”” she said.

Rehearsals for the operas began in May after castings were held in March. The performances will feature undergraduate and graduate students from the School of Music.

“”My favorite part of directing and rehearsals was moving people around and then sitting back and letting them make me laugh,”” Dauphinais said.

The production will also feature a live orchestra conducted by Gregg Hanson, band director at the School of Music, and will consist of students from the UA and members of the Tucson Symphony Orchestra.

The show will be at Crowder Hall on June 28-29 at 7:30 p.m. and on June 30 at 3 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $12 for UA employees and seniors and $10 for UA students. They can be purchased at the box office in the College of Fine Arts, 1017 N. Olive Road.