To get you through your weekend

Wednesday

Destroyer, the “”bandonym”” for singer-songwriter Dan Bejar, is taking over Club Congress at 9 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Oh, and no kiddies allowed. This is for the 21 and over crowd.

The Second City is back in Tucson and just as funny as ever in its newest production, “”Sex and The Second City, Version 2.0.”” In an age where tweeting, poking and “”liking”” are the new form of flirtation, this hysterical performance illustrates how much more complicated and confusing technology has made romance and relationships. Premiering today, “”Sex and The Second City, Version 2.0″” runs through March 27 at the Temple of Music and Art, 330 S. Scott Ave.

Thursday

Rainbow Arabia takes the stage at Club Congress, 311 E. Congress St., at 9 p.m. to deliver their “”Fourth World Pop”” experience. If you don’t know what they’re talking about … well, you’ll just have to go see for yourself. Tickets are $3 at the door and free to Optimist Club members.

Take a look at events that have occurred close to home with the premiere of “”Precious Knowledge”” held at Fox Tucson Theatre, 17 W. Congress St. The film, produced by Eren McGinnis and directed by Ari Luis Palos, documents how Tucson High Magnet School students and teachers formed the front line of a civil rights battle to save Mexican American Studies classes. Tucson High School mariachi, folklorico and drum line groups will also be making an appearance at the premiere. Doors open at 6 p.m. Free.

Friday

Feeling the need for speed? The Arizona Nitro Jam is in town, and this drag racing extravaganza has four nitro classes including 320 mph Top Fuel Dragsters. Held at the Southwestern International Raceway, 12000 S. Houghton Road, you are sure to get your fast and furious fix. For tickets and information visit www.nitrojam.com.

Get sweaty on the dance floor. The heart-pounding, dance-inducing rhythms of The Taraf de Tucson are taking over Club Congress. Hailed as a gypsy reggaeton explosion, Gabriel Sullivan’s band meshes the melodies from regions such as Romania and Mexico to create an intoxicating beat. The dance party starts at 9 p.m. and tickets are $5.

Saturday

Get your dose of good family fun at the Nam Jam Concert. Held at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium, 2500 E. Ajo Way, the concert features six hours of performances by local bands, a car show, a chili-cook-off and plenty of food to tantalize your taste buds. The festivities begin at 10 a.m. and end at 6 p.m. Tickets are $5.

Ah, date night. Gentlemen, have no fear. UApresents has got you covered with a show both you and the missus will enjoy: the Trey McIntyre Project. With classical ballet as its backbone, this ensemble performs athletic works of art that are beyond categorization. For tickets and information visit

www.uapresents.org. Curtains open at 8 p.m.

Sunday

If you like American Idol, you may like “”Quest for the Best.”” Although it features mostly classical music selections, you, the audience, still get to choose who wins as the best of southern Arizona’s voice students sing for $8,000+ in cash prizes. Tickets are $20 for students and feature a wine and hors d’oeuvre reception where you can chat with the singers and faculty. The show starts at 1:30 p.m. at the Stevie Eller Dance Theatre, 1713 E. University Blvd.

Tucson loves bikes. Celebrate the joy of bicycling with Parasol Project in Tucson Bike Beautiful 2. Start at noon and cruise through the car-less streets of Cyclovia Tucson and arrive at Armory Park at 2 p.m. for an all-inclusive bike fashion show. Then, head on over to The Hut, 305 N. Fourth Ave., at 5 p.m. for The Bike-A-Stravaganza. Featuring The Wonderfools, Flight School Acrobatics and plenty of live music, it is the perfect way to top off your weekend.

Monday

It’s Mondo Mondays at The Loft Cinema, and in celebration of the wacky weirdness that is the silver screen, the Loft is showing “”I Come in Peace.”” Grab a drink and some popcorn and sit down to watch Dolph Lundgren bring out his “”big guns”” in a showdown with a pasty white alien. The show starts at 8 p.m. and is only $3.  

Are you a beer connoisseur? The last Monday of every month, Sam Hughes’ Place Championship Dining, 446 N. Campbell Ave., Suite 150, puts on a five-course beer dinner with five beer pairings. It’s a college student’s dream. Reservations strongly recommended. $40 per person.

­— Dallas Williamson