Solo debut commands attention

It can be difficult for musicians to launch a solo career if fans already know them as part of a popular band. As a band member of Bon Iver, Sean Carey — or S. Carey — which is his solo performance name, faces rather high expectations with his debut album, All We Grow. While reminiscent of Bon Iver’s music, S. Carey has crafted a set of songs that demonstrates his own formidable skill as a singer-songwriter.

All We Grow reveals the influence of S. Carey’s classical percussion degree from the University of Wisconsin,  Eau Claire with its broad palette of dynamic range and aural texture, and it rewards careful attention. Opener “”Move”” begins with layered droning and ambient sounds that lead into S. Carey’s gentle guitar and soft voice singing about a dream of vacant piers and his fingers running through his lover’s hair. The rhythm picks up with “”We Fell”” and “”In the Dirt”” where a driving piano chord supports S. Carey’s supple singing. Two instrumental songs, “”Rothko Fields”” and “”Action,”” serve to bookend the centerpiece, “”Mothers.”” Its gentle looping melody and S. Carey’s wistful voice build to a crest and finish the song like an ocean wave lapping onto a beach.

Even though it clocks in at 39.5 minutes, All We Grow feels like a much longer album — not necessarily a bad quality to convey. Listening to S. Carey’s debut demands some patience, or at the very least, a period of time when the TV is turned off, the web browser is closed and new e-mails are ignored. All We Grow is not a soundtrack for the lingering hot summer days, but a sign of the quiet autumn sunsets soon to come.

S. Carey will be performing with The Tallest Man On Earth at Club Congress on Sept. 15.