Movie Review: Perfect for this ‘Season’

Four friends spend a life-changing day together in the new Mexican film Duck Season, which will be playing at The Loft for a limited time.
    Four friends spend a life-changing day together in the new Mexican film ‘Duck Season,’ which will be playing at The Loft for a limited time.

Simplicity of plot, cast and location make it a lot easier for a director to concentrate on emotion.

While explosions and sex can also keep eyes momentarily locked on the screen, it’s these smaller, more emotional experiences with character and story that make for a lasting movie-going experience.

That’s the reasoning employed in “”Duck Season,”” and that’s why everyone should rush out and see it.

The story starts with two 14-year-old best friends, Moko and Flama, left alone in Flama’s apartment while his mother works on a Sunday afternoon. They’ve got all the essentials – an Xbox, a big bottle of Coke and enough money to order a pizza.

While the carefree lives of the two boys and their blank stares as they play “”Halo 2″” are amusing, once the power goes out, the film and the characters become truly interesting.

Lowdown

“”Duck Season””

rated R
    90 min.
    Warner Independent Pictures

8/10

Rita, a 16-year-old neighbor, commandeers the kitchen to bake herself a birthday cake and a pizza delivery guy, Ulises (Diego CataÇño), shows up a minute late and won’t leave when Flama refuses to pay.

The four spend the day together, finding ways to pass the time with conversation and bickering. Truths are uncovered about each person as small details change the outlook of their day and even their lives.

A painting of ducks migrating is a meaningful symbol of Flama’s parents’ divorce and how he must choose which parent to live with, some cartoon pornography and a kiss opens up Moko’s eyes and Ulises realizes he may not be living life to the fullest by delivering pizzas. Numerous incidents with Rita’s baking also play a role.

The acting, as it must be with only four main characters, is top-notch, and Daniel Miranda as Moko looks like a star in the making.

Shot gorgeously in black and white by Alexis Zabe, the filmmakers make the most of the small space and use exterior shots sparingly, but to great effect. The comparison to “”Clerks”” or much of Jim Jarmusch’s work can be attributed not only to the black and white similarities, but also in the truth those filmmakers have found in watching people kill time.

Director Fernando Eimbcke has an unbelievable understanding of the issues facing teens and subtly tackles sexuality, loss, divorce and growing up.

The film also makes statements about social and economic class in a way American films tend to avoid, by setting the story in a housing complex as drab as any part of Mexico City.

Executive produced by Alfonso Cuaron (“”Y Tu Mama Tambien,”” “”Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban””), it’s clear why a big-name director would step up and try to help get this small film noticed.

The movie first screened in Tucson at The Loft Cinema’s Cine Mexico Film Festival, and it’s back at the Loft for a limited time.

Go see it soon, because no movie that hits the multiplexes will leave a taste in your mouth this sweet, let alone one that will stay with you for days.