Arizona volleyball drops match to Stanford in four sets

The Arizona Volleyball team gathers to speak before the game on Friday, Oct. 30. Photo Courtesy of Arizona Athletics.

The Wildcats were unable to get off to a strong start in the second half of conference as they had hoped, falling to No.7 Stanford in four sets. Arizona’s record is now 14-9 and just 4-7 in the conference.

Stanford had the lead in the majority of the first set, but Arizona was able to fight and keep the score close. The score was tied at 20-20, but the Wildcats then allowed Stanford to take five of the next seven points to claim the first set.

Arizona took control in the second set. Strong play by Nikki Attea, Halli Amaro, Tyler Spriggs, Kalei Mau, Penina Snuka and great defense by Laura Larson allowed Arizona to jump out to a 15-10 lead. Stanford would win the next three points, but the Wildcats were able to contain Stanford’s run after Arizona head coach Dave Rubio called a timeout.

When the score was tied again at 19-19, Arizona won six points in a row to claim the set. In those six points, Mau had six kills, Attea served an ace and Larson played stellar defense.

Arizona carried this momentum into the third set, taking control of the match with a 12-8 lead. It looked like Arizona could finally get over the hump against a top-ranked opponent, but it was not meant to be. Stanford would roar back, winning 17 of the next 23 points to take the set 25-18. Arizona let slip its inability to close out matches against top-ranked opponents once again.

Arizona would come out flat in the fourth set, going down 8-4. They were able to tie the score at 9-9, but Stanford would call timeout before embarking on a 16-5 run to win the set 25-14 and the match 3-1.

The frustration continues for Arizona, as the team has still been unable to beat a top-ranked opponent. Though the Wildcats are ranked No. 19, their RPI is only 46, and they may be in danger of missing the NCAA Tournament if they cannot bring that up.

The Wildcats will play Cal next on Sunday at 2:00 p.m.

Follow Brandon James on Twitter.