Another women’s basketball player leaves

Marie McGee
    Marie McGee

Newly hired UA head coach Niya Butts brought big plans to the Arizona women’s basketball program. A small roster, however, might suspend those aspirations after a flood of transfers and exiting players dominated this offseason, and sophomore Marie McGee is the next to depart.

Fresh from a season full of off- and on-court turmoil, McGee, a guard from Las Cruces, N.M., will leave the program for personal reasons after two years with the program, Butts announced Monday.

The program has lost Erin O’Bryan, Rheya Neabors, Rhaya Neabors and Beatrice Bofia and now McGee from last season’s team.

Combined with losing seniors Ashley Gilpin, Jessica Arnold and Ashley Whisonant, along with ex-head coach Joan Bonvicini and her three assistants, the Wildcats have down 14 players and coaches from the 2007-08 season.

McGee became the 11th women’s basketball player to transfer since 2004.

“”It is in the best interest of Marie and the Arizona women’s basketball program that she uses this time to take a step away from her basketball career,”” Butts said in a press release. “”Marie plans to continue her academics and finish her degree at Arizona.””

McGee missed nine of her last 10 games last season due to a concussion. Until that point, she played 21 games and averaged 4.0 points, 2.2 rebounds and 21.9 minutes per game. Since beginning her tenure with the program, McGee averaged 2.7 points and 15.4 minutes per game.

Arizona Daily Wildcat