Canyon’s seven waterfalls

Alex Hoeckel, of Hagerstown, Md, tries to coax four-year-old Makyah Baker into the cold waters of Sabino Creek. With the recent rain and mountain snow, Sabino Creek is flowing. (Chris Coduto/Arizona Daily Wildcat)

Tucson Spotlight

Flowing waterfalls spill beautifully into a swimming-pool-size body of water at Bear Canyon’s Seven Falls. There is no need to travel across the Pacific to experience such a heavenly image. This is Tucson’s own mini-Hawaiian oasis in the desert.

The serenity surrounding this unique seven-tiered waterfall is blissful and worth the four-mile hike. This year’s snowmelt fuels the runoff for the waterfall that currently flows steadily through Bear Canyon.

The hike to Seven Falls winds up the side of Bear Canyon and is almost always accompanied by the steady sound of trickling water, which is the stream from the falls. The rocky but well-traveled trail winds through forests of saguaro cactuses, shallow flowing streams and steep switchbacks. Clear views of the canyon are the reward after a tiresome hike up the mountainside.

Taking the time to hike Bear Canyon is not something to regret. The desert beauty and wildlife is a constant reminder that Tucson is more than just a college town.

Fine arts junior and experienced hiker Chris Newberg, who has visited the falls since childhood, has one piece of advice to offer those thinking about visiting the falls.

“”It is best to come after it rains, especially in late summer during monsoon season,”” Newberg explained. “”You can just lounge around in the water all day.””

The waterfall attracts hikers and swimmers alike, tempting hot and weary hikers to take a plunge into the cool and refreshing water.

“”When I first saw the water, I was ready to tear off my clothes and jump in,”” said pre-education junior Katie Nelson, who regretted not bringing her swimsuit.

The water swirls into a large pool below the falls. It is even possible to stand under the cascading waterfall, just like a movie scene.

Luckily there is a shaded area around the base of the waterfall. Hikers use this as an opportunity to unwind and re-energize for the four-mile hike back.

People of all ages make the hike through the barren desert canyon to enjoy the luscious and refreshing waterfall scenery that lies ahead.

Hikers have found that it is possible to reveal Tucson’s beauty in one afternoon.

“”It’s nice to hike to a destination such as the waterfalls, especially when it’s hot outside,”” Nelson said. “”I have taken my mom and boyfriend up here and they were both pleasantly surprised to see the waterfall.””

Playful children, eager college students and couples young and old all make the eight-mile-roundtrip hike to experience the beauty of Seven Falls. It is a great opportunity to get out of the house and see something different.