Catch a movie on campus

Tyler Besh
    Tyler Besh // The Daily Wildcat Tom Dotterer, a senior from Phoenix Arizona, builds a film for the Thursday night showing of “The Hangover III” in Gallagher Theater.

In the midst of a hectic weekend, Arizona Student Unions is looking to make Gallagher Theater a place of relaxation and fun with its spacious seating and wide projector. Welcoming and free to all students at the university, Gallagher Theater will be premiering its first shows this weekend.

Gallagher kicked off the year with “The Hangover Part III” on Thursday, and plans to feature many other shows that cater to student interests throughout the year.

On Sunday, “Man of Steel” will be playing at 2 p.m. This action-packed movie about Superman stars Henry Cavill and Oscar nominee Amy Adams. Student employees at the university chose to premiere this movie based on its trailer, reviews, ratings and gross income.

As a “Sunday Funday” study break, students head to Gallagher in the Student Union Memorial Center to catch this free flick.

“Our focus is to increase student engagement with Arizona Student Unions and make the union a hub for students on campus,” said Allen Womble, engagement coordinator for Arizona Student Unions.

Free screenings for students with CatCards give students a cheap and easy way to become engaged in the programs the student union has to offer. Gallagher wants to give students a fun and relaxing environment to make them feel at home, Womble said.

“We’re looking to make this place the living room on campus,” Womble said, adding that the movie showings are meant for all students at the university, from freshmen to nontraditional, older students on campus.

In addition to showing movies that have already debuted, Gallagher occasionally gives students the opportunity to see movies before they’re released.

Attending the showings is also a good way to become more involved with the university, said Melissa Carreno, student engagement marketing assistant.

“I’m really excited and hoping that students can come out and watch the movies we have, considering that they are free,” Carreno said. “We want students to come and enjoy the free movies that we offer at the student unions so they can get more involved with school and participate. We always love seeing new people engaging in this atmosphere.”