It’s all in the detail

OK, so it’s Friday night and you have managed to throw together a mediocre outfit. After a battle with a bottle of hairspray and half a tube of mascara, you’re starting to look pretty good. Leaving the house for a night of socializing is in your near future.

Yet the key to being a fashionista is to accessorize. Accessorize by layering on piece after piece of jewelry or switching from a school tote to a clutch purse.

Accessories are often overlooked and it is not necessary to spend an arm and a leg on a great necklace or purse. Fashion Facts checked out the affordable, yet totally cute accessories at Divaz, 906 E. University Blvd. Divaz employee Christine Eicher, a psychology junior, models the biggest trends in accessories.

Headbands or scarves are also a great accessory, as well as tools to tame unruly hair. Eicher chooses a simple brown woven headband to keep her hair off her face. Divaz offers brightly colored, as well as jeweled black and brown, headbands for around $10.

Headbands look best when paired with embellished outfits, which don’t need jewelry or an array of accessories. Divaz also carries hats, which Eicher said aren’t typically worn for a night on the town.

“”Hats are more for when you are tired and going to class,”” she said.

Bracelets are a big accessory this fall, especially bangles, Eicher said. She likes to wear her bangles high up on her forearm.

“”The accessories are all big and gaudy,”” Eicher said.

Bangles at Divaz are usually priced around $10, like the black one she wears. An elegant silver piece can be paired with a black dress, while a creative, hand-painted floral design adds color and pattern to a simple outfit.

Eicher also carries a black clutch purse (far left). The purse, which is $28 and comes with an optional double-loop silver chain, is perfect for night or day.

Perhaps the most often worn accessories are earrings, rings and necklaces.

Eicher’s favorite accessories are big rings.

“”My best friends know me for my giant, gaudy rings,”” Eicher said.

Divaz has a huge amount of playful necklaces, likely worn to class or with more casual outfits. Better suited for nightlife are the many decorative silver and gold rhinestone pieces. Try pairing up the necklaces like Eicher, as a fun, flirty heart-shaped black and gold necklace balances the more elegant black drop necklace.