Wale focuses on ‘Attention Deficit’

Wale focuses on Attention Deficit

Attention Deficit is a likely contender for the hip-Hop album of the year. Hip-hop newcomer and Interscope/Roc Nation (Jay-Z’s label) recording artist Olubowale Akintimehin aka Wale, (pronounced Wah-lei) has assembled a sensational collection of songs that are frank in their honesty, smart in their thought-provoking qualities and tight in their seamless production. Not to mention there are bonus tracks that are actually really good.

Born to Nigerian parents, Wale hails from America’s capital, representing Washington, D.C., well and doing an excellent job of helping to revive a comatose hip-hop music industry.

While his flow is distinct, it won’t be long before music connoisseurs label Wale as the rapper who doesn’t waste a word as he vividly paints his life experiences through his songs. On “”Shades,”” featuring Chrisette Michelle, he  details his struggles being Nigerian-American. He solemnly tells of a girl hurt so badly by men in her past that she can’t accept his love on “”Diary,”” which features Marsha Ambrosius.

Interestingly, many of Wale’s songs center on his dialogue on ambition and a quest for success, combined with a sobering realization of the price of fame. “”Chillin,”” with Lady Gaga, is the first release from his album, followed by expansive “”Pretty Girls”” featuring Gucci Mane and Weensey of Backyard Band. “”Let It Loose”” featuring Pharell is a surefire club-banger, “”TV In My Radio”” featuring K’Naan (a rapper of Somalian heritage) is sharp and witty, while “”Triumph”” opens up the album with drum beats fit for an African king.

In fact, many of Wale’s songs incorporate the percussion laden “”go-go”” music popular in the Washington, D.C., area. And the sweetest track that represents the mixture of go-go music with African and hip-hop beats is the bonus track “”My Sweetie.””  

His focus seems to be on many different topics but he still makes a specific point in every song. Stellar wordplay frames his music. The video game-like musical production that introduces many of his songs is fitting for his album, as it demonstrates how well technology can cause an attention deficit disorder. And while there are many distracting hip-hop albums out there, this one is sure to keep you fully engaged.