“If Tech job opens, Dykes could be considered”

Texas Tech’s success may be affecting more people than the residents of Lubbock, Texas.

While the No. 2 Red Raiders have extended thier record to 10-0 – including their last two wins over then-No. 1 Texas and then-No. 9 Oklahoma State – thrusting the program right in the middle of national title talks, Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach’s name has surfaced in rumors to assume the head coaching jobs at Washington and Tennessee, to name a few.

With a potential vacancy in Lubbock for a head coach, former Texas Tech offensive coordinator – who now assumes that role at Arizona – Sonny Dykes could be atop the potential list.

Though all the talk is premature and hypothetical, if the situation were to play out, Dykes said it would be something to consider.

“”Obviously it is something you have to take a look at,”” Dykes said.

During Dykes’ second year with the Arizona program, his offense has finally started to click the way the head coach Mike Stoops envisioned when bringing the coach in. Arizona has racked up just under 40 points per game, and that’s Dykes’ primary concern.

“”The coaching circles, you never know what’s going to happen and I think when you are a young coach you worry about things like that. But the longer you are in the business, you realize it’s hard to predict anything that is going to happen,”” Dykes said. “”You learn to not even worry and not let it concern you.””

In what has been quite the dramatic change of scenery from Lubbock to Tucson, Dykes said he has enjoyed his time spent with Arizona and working for Stoops. Having just qualified for its first bowl berth in a decade, Dykes is excited about the prospect of increasing the Wildcats’ bowl position by finishing the season strong.

Next up for Arizona is a game at Oregon on Saturday that has rather big implications, given the Ducks sit directly above the Wildcats in the Pacific 10 Conference standings.

“”Right now, we’re just trying to beat Oregon. I’m focused on this team, and I like it here and I am certainly not in any hurry to leave,”” Dykes said. “”I like our team. We’re going to have a good one in the future and I like working for Coach Stoops. I like living in Tucson, so like I said, you don’t worry about that kind of stuff, especially when you are really happy with where you are.””