Yuba City man arrested for punching cop in face

Yuba City man was arrested early Wednesday after he punched a Yuba City police officer in the face while trying to gain access to an accident scene, police said.

John Randolph Scott, 21, of the 100 block of C Street, was arrested by Yuba City police at 6:42 a.m. at Queens and Clark avenues on suspicion of battery on a peace officer and resisting an executive officer. He was booked into Sutter County Jail, where he was still being held Thursday afternoon on $25,000 bail.

Police had been responding to a vandalism call at the 7-Eleven at Queens Avenue and Upland Drive when the vandalism suspect saw the officers and ran south on Queens, said spokeswoman Shawna Pavey. In fleeing, he was struck by a vehicle.

The vandalism suspect, a 17-year-old Yuba City boy, was being treated by paramedics when people began gathering at the scene. Scott wanted access to the teen, and when he could not reach the boy, he punched an officer in the face, Pavey said.

Scott was also arrested in November for obstructing a police officer and disorderly conduct.

It’s unknown why Scott wanted access to the teen, who was cited for the vandalism and released, Pavey said. The department is investigating.

The officer, who was not identified, is OK, Pavey said.