Police Beat

A “”suspicious”” bag found in the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., Wednesday morning needed to be searched by police dogs and opened in a confined location before it was found to contain decorative candles, reports stated.

Police responded to the library at 9:08 a.m. after a UA employee reported the bag, reports stated.

The brown, paper shipping bag was sitting near the entrance and contained a cardboard box, reports stated.

The employee told police a co-worker had said the bag had been there since early in the morning.

Police checked the bag with a K-9 unit, reports stated. The K-9 unit showed no interest or change of behavior.

Police moved the bag to a confined location and proceeded to open the box, reports stated.

The box contained decorative candles, reports stated.

The items were placed into lost and found, reports stated.

A UA employee was cited and released for theft of services at 9:55 p.m. Tuesday after police saw him exit the Tyndall Avenue Parking Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., without paying for parking, reports stated.

Police observed the employee reach out of the window of his vehicle with his left hand and raise the automated parking arm, reports stated.

Upon making contact, the employee immediately stated, “”Sorry guys, I’ll go back and pay the ticket.””

The employee voluntarily went back to the parking cashier and paid for his parking, reports stated.

The employee was cited and released, reports stated.

A man lost his wallet Wednesday on the west side of Gila Residence Hall, 1009 E. James E. Rogers Way, reports stated.

The man dropped his wallet at 4:55 p.m., and when he returned to the area at 7:15 p.m., he discovered the wallet with the money missing, reports stated.

The man refused a case number, stating he only wanted to document the incident.

Police have no suspects or witnesses, reports stated.

A student was cited and released for excessive speeding at 4:13 p.m. Wednesday after police observed him traveling northbound along North Euclid Avenue at 59 mph, reports stated.

The posted speed limit is 35 mph, reports stated.

Police pulled into the median on North Euclid Avenue and observed the vehicle suddenly turn right onto East Lee Street, reports stated.

Police made a U-turn and stopped the vehicle, reports stated.

The driver was cited and released, reports stated.

An unknown person attempted to steal a composite photograph at 2:10 a.m. Wednesday from the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house, 1420 N. Vine Ave., reports stated.

A member of the fraternity reported hearing a noise coming from the lobby and went to investigate.

He heard a noise, which he later discovered was the photograph falling off the wall, and heard someone run out the front door, reports stated.

The fraternity member followed and saw a dark figure get into a vehicle and drive off westbound on East Adams Street, reports stated.

He could not give a description of the suspect but told police he had the impression it was a female.

As he walked back to the house, the fraternity member found a red screwdriver possibly belonging to the suspect, reports stated.

He told police the fraternity did not have problems with any other group, but in the past, the photograph had been taken as a prank by a sorority, reports stated.

The photograph was not damaged, reports stated.

The fraternity member did not want to prosecute, but wanted the incident documented, reports stated.

A student’s $60 purse was stolen from the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, 1500 E. University Blvd., sometime between 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Monday, reports stated.

The student told police she left the purse in a room at 10 a.m., and when she returned an hour later, the purse was gone, reports stated.

The purse was beige with snakeskin straps and contained a $10 tan, tri-fold wallet, reports stated.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department Records. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resumǸ can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.