Pink Martini brings the storm

Courtesy of Holly Andres
    Holly Andres
    Courtesy of Holly Andres

Storm Large, one of the lead singers in the jazz band Pink Martini, answers a few the Wildcat’s questions before her and the band take the stage at the Fox Theater on Sunday at 6 p.m. Pink Martini hails from Portland, Oregano and is made up of 10 to 12 talented musicians that perform in multiple languages with a full orchestra and have played in and sold out shows in highly esteemed venues such as The Hollywood Bowl, Carnegie Hall in New York City and at the Royal Albert Hall in London.

How was the Band formed?
    Thomas Lauderdale was working at city hall in Portland, 20 years ago, and he was planning ultimately to run for Mayor. He hated the music at all of the political functions and started the band to play there and realized that he enjoyed doing that much more.
    How did you get started with the band Pink Martini?
    China Forbes (the original lead singer of Pink Martini) was put on intense vocal rest, and at the time they had a bunch of sold out shows at the Kennedy Center (in Washington D.C.). I was asked by Thomas to sing for the shows and for days he begged me. Finally I did it, but I only ended up doing it with a cheat sheet, which I hate doing. But, I had to learn 10 songs in five languages in four days. I did it, but I don’t remember the shows. Since then, I’ve been adopted by the band. And now I’m one of the lead singers.
    Best part of being in the band?
    The people. They are so incredibly professional and so good at what they do . but they aren’t snobby. I learn a lot from them because they’ve studied music and are all really astute musicians. They have been classical musicians, jazz musicians. Being in the band has made me a much better musician, so what I’ve learned from them is the best part.
    How many languages do you sing in and where did the idea of doing music in different languages stem from?
    I sing in fifteen languages. Human expression is a universal thing. We can sing this kind of killer pop song from Japan or a sexy Italian love song. There is beautiful music everywhere, so why just sing in one language when there’s all this great music. Great music comes from everywhere.
    What’s the premise behind the album “Get Happy”?
    Get happy was supposed to be an album of just joyful and happy, all blissful songs. It turned out to be deeper, more melancholy songs. The title became more of an imperative, “we all go through difficult things in our lives but we can get through it,” Some of the best art and music are made during these challenging times. “Get happy” is a great representation of getting through these times and making something beautiful out of it,
    What will Saturday’s show be like?
    Its kind of like this great party, an old Hollywood party, where no one feels left out and the music is fun and beautiful and rich and old timey and still kind of brought up to the standards. Young people and old people can really get into it, forget the outside world for awhile and just being out for a lovely evening. Be prepared to get up and dance, sometimes we pull people up on stage.